Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Garage
Question about what's loose in my rear hub

I wrecked my car last year and took a few months and put it all together and it's been fine for months. In the past few weeks, when I turn right I can hear just a tiny bit of grinding and sounds like when pads are worn and metal to rotor sound. I took my wheel off today and as soon as I took the caliper off I noticed the hub could wobble in the hub carrier. I haven't dug into it further yet, I need to take the axle nut off and the hub to see what it is. Only thing I can think of so far is the axle shaft. Instead of buying a new OEM or good used OEM, I bought this new cheap one. It worked fine for months, but also seemed to slowly develop backlash. After the car was warmed up it seemed that when you give it gas or let off, it clunked like it's developing play in the axle.
Then the last few weeks, this grinding sounds.
Hoping it's the axle shaft as it has a full warranty.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the quick video of the wobbling.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atil9WC21-BZgdUhmF2rjVPYOvsjiQ?e=VNV1XC

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Garage
Very dead wheel bearing it seems to me. It's the bearing the positions the hub not the half-shaft.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #3

Garage
... have a look at post #4 in this thread.
My Boxster journey
Old 10-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Very dead wheel bearing it seems to me. It's the bearing the positions the hub not the half-shaft.
Thank you, I'm thinking the same thing now. When I move the hub around I can see the front of the wheel bearing moving with the hub.
When I crashed the car, all the wheel bearings, rotors, and pads were changed a month before. when I put on the used hub carrier I bought, the bearing looked fine. I kept the broken hub carrier for a few months just in case I need the bearing. But I sold my other car and got a larger car and needed to clean out the garage some. I tossed the old hub carrier in the garbage.
Oh well, tomorrow I'll take it all apart to see what I need.
So far, a bearing, rotor, brake pads, axle nut, maybe the axle shaft since it had play in it anyways. I'm hoping not much more than that.

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
... have a look at post #4 in this thread.
My Boxster journey
Thank you very much. I'll be pulling the bearing out tomorrow. My friend had pulled and changed all 4 bearings last year is going to bring over his tools and help me out.
I see you have a Quickjack, I got mine last year, wish I would have gotten one long ago. So quick and easy to get the car up, I love it.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
PLP

BEV and Porsche.
Perfect combination in the garage.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
... I see you have a Quickjack, I got mine last year, wish I would have gotten one long ago. So quick and easy to get the car up, I love it.
Yes, the QJ was a present to myself a couple of years ago. This spring I did an engine swap in the Boxster and it sure helped to have it.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Ya I understand that now, couldn't have need the axle.
Took it all apart and I do see the play in the bearing with the half-shaft wobbling in it, but the bearing looks totally fine after taking it apart. So I'll get a new bearing and hope that solves the issue. I may also get a new axle shaft to see if that solves the backlash play. And I need a new rotor cause from wobbling, one of the brake pad guide pins was rubbing on the rotor when turning right. And will buy another axle nut as well.

Another weird thing is the when removing the axle nut it was only torqued on with about 40-50lbs. I don't know how it got that loose. maybe from the bearing being worn it loosened up the torque.

Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
BEV and Porsche.
Perfect combination in the garage.
Thanks, wasn't planning on having it. I had awesome deals on a Cayenne, Audi Q5, and a BMX X5. They all got sold from under me. I'm really glad it happened, I'm loving the Model S so much even though it way way more then I had wanted to spend.