Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Opening rear trunk with detached cables

Long story short: circlip holding cables on to trunk latch came off. Searched various sources, no viable options. Pulled left rear wheel, inner fender, heat shield, took bumper cover loose. Pulled trunk vent (with rubber flaps) out. Took 1 1/2" grommet out.
Inserted endoscope in grommet hole, made an 18" flat strap with a small hole in it on one end. Used endoscope to light up trunk and reached i9n the vent hole with flat strap until I could manipulate latch. Not all that difficult but time consuming.
Ground of post on latch that cables are attached to, drilled out latch, put a #10x1" machine screw (grade 8), attached all 3 cables, put a double nut on the screw. Works great.
Reassembled and went for a drive.

Melsblueboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #2

Sounds painful.

I unlocked one of mine this afternoon, got in, turned the key, put it in gear and went for a drive. Much easier.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

I think you have smarta** problem. I posted this in an effort to be helpful to others. Probably my last post.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #4

your post is very incoherent. Honestly read it 3 times and I dont even have a clue what you did other then tearing your car apart.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #5

Incoherent? If you can't understand what I described, ask your mommy to explain it to you.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:11 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsblueboxster View Post
Incoherent? If you can't understand what I described, ask your mommy to explain it to you.
I read the post a few times before it made any sense.

It's clear your effort was a major undertaking. Your "Searched various sources, no viable options" means you didn't look hard enough for the existing cable that would have opened your trunk absent all the other BS.

Tell us that you set up an alternative method for opening the trunk in the event your repair fails.