Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
PLP

Post What could a 7" laminate circular saw blade do to your undercarriage?

Well, it could do a lot of damage.

Wednesday, the 13th!!, October 2021.

Coming back from work, nice afternoon, wind in hair (or what is remaining of them - not bald yet, but definitely less of them...), taking a left turn, slow speeds, 35 mph limits, and suddenly this kind of noise no one wants to hear. Like a metallic, but spring like, very jingly, and rumble under the car, and more spring like metallic noise.

Thoughts - tranny broke, or engine exploded. Yet it still drives (to the side of the road, to clear the intersection). Quick look in the mirror - no pieces can be see on the road... but there is a fresh wet trail following the car. Weird noise from the engine. Kind of whining.

I stopped (maybe 20 yards from the intersection). I see something is quickly dripping, directly under my seat. Fuel - FIRE. No, oil, not smelly. Must be power steering. Not coolant.

I went back to see what I lost.
Nothing can be found except, as you already know, a 7 inch blade.

Took some pictures. Just to document it. Who knows, I might need it.
I restarted the car to drive it off the road. Steering is heavy. But works. Yes, it was the PS fluid and lines are cut through.

Called my insurance agent to ask - shall I call the Police or... just tell me what to do?
She said - try the company number and see what they say.
Turned out, to my luck as you will see below, they will cover it under "flying debris" category. OK, this is nice. No need for police report. Time saver.

Transported the car to the body shop as advised. They say - sorry man, it is all mechanical. We need to send you to a dealer.
Next day the car got towed to local Porsche dealer. Very nice folks there.

Inspection was yesterday (Monday morning).
The blade must have been pushed up by the edge and stood upright when it got under the car.
Cut the front fender well liner, scratched fuel lines, then cut very deeply through the cover and PS lines (where they turn 90 degrees from the side car to the middle - that was the moment I felt like something got under the car, like it almost lifted me up), traveled further down to leave marks on the engine/suspension strut/brace, then cut the rear tire from inside, and finished with a small scratch/cut of the rear bumper cover.

I saved the blade, by the way.

Cost, so far, is nearly 3'000 USD. This does not include the fuel lines yet and labor for them. I will hear more today.

It is unknown if the PS oump got damaged as the fluid drained right away and it was running dry for maybe overall a minute.

I will keep you posted how the repair goes. I hope I will not reach the totaled threshold...

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Seal1968

Holy ****************...that had to be some a-hole put it there to vandalize your car.

Sorry to hear, that plain sucks.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #3

Garage
That`s crazy. You must have picked it up from the road. Here the gardeners just throw all kinds of stuff on their trucks to spill them randomly on the freeway. Lately I ran over a ladder, but once I had to avoid a scythe lying on the road, both on my motorcycle of course..
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
but once I had to avoid a scythe lying on the road, both on my motorcycle of course..
Are you sure it wasn't the Grim Reaper leaving a calling card?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #5

Garage
Yikes! That’s one I haven’t heard before! Fortunately it’s covered
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the Grim Reaper leaving a calling card?
I had the same exact thing in my mind at the moment. Somehow I got away with no legs left behind
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:21 AM   #7

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I personally would argue for a pump replacement only because insurance is paying for it. Running dry probably didn't kill it but it sure wasn't good for it. Replacing a power steering pump is probably the biggest pain to replace there is on these cars. I'd rather pull a motor than have to replace one of those
Old 10-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
PLP

Update.
Still waiting for parts to arrive, but so far the total cost is above 4'000 USD.

Damage started with the front, driver side, wheel well, then fuel line (the black one, blue is OK), power steering hoses plus cover, suspension support arm (the long arm with 5 nuts), a tire (it was cut inside), and we skipped the rear bumper as it was slightly cut as well.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote