Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
PLP

Question Urgent help needed - OBC and cruise control install

I already asked it elsewhere, but maybe was not noticed, so I am sorry for duplicating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
2004 Boxster S
I finished my winter project of installing the 4 stalk controller so as to enable cruise and the OBC. I followed the directions as laid down in "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster", "986 Bentley Service Manual" and the web site Renntech.org which has a wealth of information for this upgrade. Now I just have to get to an Indy Shop/Dealer to activate both through the computer.

I took my time for fear of breaking something and this took two days, no breaks. If I had to do it again probably 4-5hrs. My garage temperature was around 5 to 6 C so plastic parts aren't as pliable.
When removing the instrument cluster all the documentation tells you to lift straight up after removing the 2 screws behind the telephone speaker and the hazard flasher. They don't mention that there are 5 plastic tabs helping to hold the instrument cluster to the dash. Likewise with the Trim Ring around the steering column and the dash, it is secured on top with 2 screws and under the steering column there are 2 plastic tabs, lift straight straight up.

The condensed wire plan is;
2003-4 Boxster Cruise:
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4
Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2
2003-4 Boxster OBC:
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 23 - Stalk Connector Pin 2
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 22 - Stalk Connector Pin 3
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 21 - Stalk Connector Pin 4
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 24 - Stalk Connector Pin 5
Earth (ground) - Stalk Connector Pin 1

so let me get this straight.
If one is to install the 4-stalk, some wires are "doubled", in other words, connected to same pins from the stalk, but different on the gray one (C plug).
Pin 1 is ground and goes to Pin 17
Pin 2 goes to Pin 23 and Fuse B7
Pin 3 goes to Pin 22 and Pin 4
Pin 4 goes to Pin 1 and 21
Pin 5 goes to Pin 24

Is that right?

Base 2003.
I hope to get clarification soon as I am in the middle of the project...

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:10 AM   #2
PLP

OK, never mind... I figured it out myself. I just needed a night of sleep.

Of course those are two different plugs. Somehow when I read initially the project it sounded to me like it is enough to get the 4-stalk and 5 wires, plus the plug.

Yes, that is true for the OBC. There was no plug to purchase for Cruise Control.

OBC has a 6-pin connector where only 5 are used.
CC has a 4-pin connector and all of them are utilised.

Therefore, if one wants to do both projects at the same time - you will need overall 9 wires and preferably 16 plugs (one is ground while the other goes to B7 fuse) .

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

Sorry I didn't see this post and glad you figured it all out. I have to admit that how the documentation within the book "101 Projects..." is presented makes it more complicated than it is. I wish I recorded this when I did it because just identifying which plugs are which, how long the wires need to be, how to run the wires, etc. would go a long way. I will say that after all that work - the OBC functionality is a little underwhelming in this day and age (but still cool).