Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

2000 Boxster S Plastic End of Life?

I have three Porsches. A 911, a 912 and a 2000 Boxster S.

Every time I drive the Boxster, I'm reminded how it really is basically a perfect sports car. Of course what makes it great includes the factory short shift, 917 wood shift knob, factory sport exhaust, Dansk cats and full leather (which adds weight but I think makes a big difference). I hope to just keep on driving and driving it.

But it seems more and more plastic things are just breaking. Side glove boxes, center glove box, window regulators, oil air separator, shifter cable end (though that may not be a plastic thing, and it's currently "fixed" with a $.15 hose clamp), and other things I'm not thinking of just now.

I'm starting to worry about what is next, and how bad it might all get.

Is this an understood issue that simply is going to keep getting worse? Any more serious parts breaking in my future?

Though I do recognize it is a 21 year old car! And I know it's just a sign of different designing. But neither my 911 nor my 912, which are 48 year and 54 year old cars, seem to have so many plastic parts (or course) that are crumbling.

Last edited by Jay Laifman; 09-20-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #2

I have 3 boxsters….. base 99, 2003, and a 2001 S. It seems all plastic has a shelf life….. I keep hoping that some alternative fixes will come about…. Fingers crossed but as another has said on this forum… the end of the cycle/door is closing on the boxster…… will keep mine going as long as I can!

Last edited by Novas1but74; 09-21-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Novas1but74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #3

what I do with the older car situation,..is buy parts when you see them wether you need them or not..Bc someday U will,otherwise you are dependant on factory NOS..Cant replace a car really but some parts are nice to have when needed..?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #4

As a plastics engineer, my responsibility is to formulate heavily modified polymers for the energy industry. Even with highly modified and cross linked plastics, the shelf life of polymers is real. It will be a forever thing to replace the various bits and pieces on these cars. Accept it and plan for it as others have posted or move on. Really your only two choices.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

While my 986 is the only porsche I've owned, I said on day 1 that is can't wait to get 100k out of her and move on to the next. Cars have finite life spans...replace and upgrade what you can now, but drive the **************** out of her while you still can.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
As a plastics engineer, my responsibility is to formulate heavily modified polymers for the energy industry. Even with highly modified and cross linked plastics, the shelf life of polymers is real. It will be a forever thing to replace the various bits and pieces on these cars. Accept it and plan for it as others have posted or move on. Really your only two choices.
Given the requirement for recycling. How are the plastic in Japanese cars different? They seem to last much longer. Are they similar to prior recycling laws?

Does the 3D printing polymers have similar end of life ?
moosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #7

It does seem that way but I don't think there is a statistically true difference between them. I still have a lot of the plastic parts on my 2001 in pretty decent shape. I'm sure most large automotive manufacturers leverage the same resins and use similar processes so it wouldn't make sense that the lifespans are too drastically different. Cars used to use "engineered" resins (modifiers) in the plastics. Still do to a certain extent but cost and EV vehicles are killing those more costly resins off pretty quickly. They won't need to withstand the same temperatures seen in combustion engines, less mechanical stresses, etc. I've got a 2009 Honda Civic in pretty rough shape. Far worse than the Boxster. I know I didn't answer your question, sorry.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #8

Thanks all for the thoughts. As I said, my other cars are much older AND I've had them for much much longer. So I have no intent of giving up on my Boxster either. I've driven the newer Boxster and Carreras. Yes, all great. But nothing so great that I would feel good to part with my Boxster for one.

Also, FWIW, my Boxster has 130,000 miles now, and still original paint, one tiny dent. So visually there is no reason to go new either - well, except for the formerly red calipers. Those have to be redone or replaced.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jay Laifman; 09-21-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

I look forward to the day 3D printing becomes so advanced that we can just type in a part number and presto a brand new plastic piece comes out.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #10

3d printed parts are mostly printed with PLA (which is cornstarch basically). Some will print with ABS but it's a pain to get printed well. I dont see 3D printing ever taking over injection molding cause you can tell a part that is 3d printed just by looking at it. Great for some things but car plastics....not a chance.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
3d printed parts are mostly printed with PLA (which is cornstarch basically). Some will print with ABS but it's a pain to get printed well. I dont see 3D printing ever taking over injection molding cause you can tell a part that is 3d printed just by looking at it. Great for some things but car plastics....not a chance.
Not entirely true - even on automotive application.

My son designed and printed the parts (bottom, top and the attaching screw) holding the two lines under my Boxster almost two years ago and those do look like new still.
Only part on this set up I got from Porsche was the rubber liner around the pipes.

These 3D parts have not bent, flexed or deformed on driving here in Finland - including approximately 11 trackdays.
Car has been driven approximately 18.000km after the parts was instelled.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The plastic is annoying but it's nothing compared to newer cars. That said, it is my understanding that Porsche supports every car they have ever made through Porsche Classic. You will pay for the privilege of getting parts and may have to wait, but they will provide them to you if you need them.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Very untrue. I've seen plastic 3D printed prototype parts where the only way you'd be able to tell is not being able to find the gate locations. The Mini GP (very low production car, but production) uses 3d printed metal components - shift paddles and a couple other parts I can't remember.

There's all kinds of additive manufacturing techniques beyond the homemade setup your friend has in their basement.

Of course, machine and materials costs go up exponentially with material / quality / strength / appearance requirements. But, as an emerging tech with a LOT of benefits, we should see rapid progress which leads to improved techniques and better costs.
SCCA_AX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

They have been around for a while and there hasn't been much improvement. It is pretty stagnate. I have 3 printers myself and have worked with a 200K+ printer from a company in Germany. The past 6 years I have been doing it there hasn't been much improvement in the tech.
You can tell no matter what the material. Unless someone is going to do finishing work on a piece you will see the layers. I have printed ABS, carbon fiber, wood mixtures and there are always lines, just that simple. You can make the layers smaller/thinner but you cant make it look like injection molded parts. No way around it without doing something to it after it's printed.

Dont get me wrong, I love these things. I have printed thousands of things, including things for a 986. My point is though you can tell if something is printed. With it ever take over for replacement of other processes? No I dont think so. It will be a niche used for specific purposes but not mass production of things. The time alone to make something is the biggest hurdle.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #15
Seal1968

In my opinion, the biggest thing to destroy Boxster plastics is the sun.

Unfortunately these are convertibles, and this contributes to a shorter lifespan for the interior components overall.

I hope I don't start a detailing war, but some UV protectants designed for plastic parts may help your interior weather the weather.

I use some on all my cars, and the interiors are in very good condition.

Flame suit on.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

If you don't have your windshield tinted... move on it. $100 will cover the inside glass with invisible film.

Next... buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-fit-Protector-Porsche-Boxster-986-1997/dp/B017JIQD2O