Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #1

Headlight Polishing

Just wondering what everybody is using as a clear coat after polishing and de-ambering their headlights? There are a lot out there and which one is best, TIA

tekkron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

I used the Cerakote kit. My headlights were pretty foggy and the Cerakote kit did a OK job clearing them up (still has a bit of yellowing). I think if I had to do it again, I would wet sand the headlights all the way up to 2k or 3k grit and then start the kit. So far the sealant in the Cerakote kit has held up.

I should add that I wet sanded and polished my headlights on my truck and then put invisible bra material over them 2 years ago. Those headlight still look amazing after 2 years. More complicated to do but has worked out well.

Last edited by elav; 09-11-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Expanded
elav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

I wet sand with 1k, 1.5. all the way up to 4K before applying polish and finish with Meguires spray on clear. My car is garage kept and this seems to hold up pretty good.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

I am actually this week going to restore a set of litronics, I’ve used a lot of the generic kits you buy at autozone and I’m going alittle above that since those kits make it look 80% restored but I want them to be 95% restored so I’m going the sanding manually and clear coating with Eastwood 2k. I’ll let you know how it’s going to go

Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote