Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #1

Axle boot questions

Anybody know how to apply these?

They're what Porsche supplies for clamping on the axle boots. In my case, on a 2001 S. I assume there’s some special tool, but I can’t find what it is anywhere. Does it just pull the pointed end through the hole at the other end, then make a sharp fold/crease in the strap where it goes through the hole? Would that be enough to be secure?? The only tools I’ve seen anything about are the ones used for the clamps that have the holes & teeth that engage, then you crimp the short, U-shaped section that sticks out to the side to do the final tightening.

The longer ones shown in the pic just barely reach around the boot—they almost seem too short to work.

Related question: I have the axles off. Have gotten the inner CV disassembled and cleaned up, no problem. On the outer (wheel end) joint the DIYs all just kind of indicate ‘clean up to the degree possible’ basically. Do people just wipe out what they can of the old grease with a rag (which ain’t much). Or are folks pouring/spraying solvent into the joint (which would take a lot and get super messy I would think).
My son seemed to think the solvent approach might not be a good idea anyway because it might be hard on the rubber seals that he thought might be in there. Opinions/suggestions? TIA.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #2

When I changed my boots I believe they came with Odeker clamps: https://oetiker.com/
which were on the original boots if memory serves. I just wiped off the existing grease and regreased with the supplied stuff...I believe I sourced the boots from Pelican.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Anybody know how to apply these?

They're what Porsche supplies for clamping on the axle boots. In my case, on a 2001 S. I assume there’s some special tool, but I can’t find what it is anywhere. Does it just pull the pointed end through the hole at the other end, then make a sharp fold/crease in the strap where it goes through the hole? Would that be enough to be secure?? The only tools I’ve seen anything about are the ones used for the clamps that have the holes & teeth that engage, then you crimp the short, U-shaped section that sticks out to the side to do the final tightening.

The longer ones shown in the pic just barely reach around the boot—they almost seem too short to work.

Related question: I have the axles off. Have gotten the inner CV disassembled and cleaned up, no problem. On the outer (wheel end) joint the DIYs all just kind of indicate ‘clean up to the degree possible’ basically. Do people just wipe out what they can of the old grease with a rag (which ain’t much). Or are folks pouring/spraying solvent into the joint (which would take a lot and get super messy I would think).
My son seemed to think the solvent approach might not be a good idea anyway because it might be hard on the rubber seals that he thought might be in there. Opinions/suggestions? TIA.
A decent spray brake cleaner will do the job on the outer CV without damaging anything. You can also obtain the regular axle boot clamps and crimping tool from Amazon.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I think that's what I'll do.

I guess I screwed up by not just getting some 'basic boot clamps' (from Amazon or, in my case, I think I can probably get them from Summit Racing just down the road from me) instead of getting OEM clamps that no one seems to use. Or, in many cases, even knows how to use. At nearly $50 for the 8 of them, no less! Ah, the Porsche tax...gotta love it!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

The clamp in the first pic of this thread looks a lot like what Porsche sent me. And that looks like about how much excess (if you wanna call it that) I have to go through the hole and bend back.

Axle boot clamp question

How could they ever be made secure???
Old 09-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

To do the clamps you have, you need a special boot clamp tool :

Amazon sells them for about $15-20, made by Grearwrench and KD Tools.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-07-2021 at 10:32 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

Yeah, I saw that one demo'd on YouTube. Pretty nifty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCCeg0D0R0

Comparing the Porsche ones with that demo, the P-car ones look a little different: they don't have that metal chute that the pointed end of the strap feeds through before you bend it with the tool, plus they lack the tabs on each side that fold down (ie are tapped by hammer) on the end of it once it's tightened onto the boot and cut short.

Anyway, unfortunately, I'd already bought the tool for the other type.

In any case, even if I had that tool, what Porsche sent me in no way is long enough to go around the boot and then slip in far enough to go into the slot in the shaft of the tensioner (back towards the handle of the tool). I'll see if I can get myself a refund...
Old 09-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, I saw that one demo'd on YouTube. Pretty nifty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCCeg0D0R0

Comparing the Porsche ones with that demo, the P-car ones look a little different: they don't have that metal chute that the pointed end of the strap feeds through before you bend it with the tool, plus they lack the tabs on each side that fold down (ie are tapped by hammer) on the end of it once it's tightened onto the boot and cut short.
The type of clamps you have simply just bend over and are cut off. Just a variation on a theme......