Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Garage
Window regulator weirdness

Hello all,

I have a '99 base model that keeps my mid-life crisis at bay. I replaced the passenger side window regulator and motor 3 years ago and that was a fun, gratifying project that was a big money-saver. The window made a grinding and crackling noise for the last 7 or 8 times the window worked, and when I took it apart I realized strands of the regulator cable were snapping one by one until the cable bunched up and jammed the regulator's pulley wheels. (The motor itself was fine and I still have it, btw, if anybody wants it for the cost of shipping. I believe it is specific to the passenger's side.)

Now the driver's side window just started the same dying process. I wonder if I can get to the cable and trim the broken strands before they bunch up, if I might delay or completely sidestep the death of the whole arrangement. Can't hurt to try. I think.

Meanwhile, a new symptom has developed that is worrisome. The driver's side window goes up and stays up. Then I close the door and it drops about 6". I have to roll it up from the passenger side and close the passenger door last to seal it up. I'm hoping this isn't an electrical problem as that is where my diagnostic and mechanical ability drops off. The microswitches have worked all along for dropping the windows the right amounts for opening & closing the doors and the top. I looked through all the regulator-related posts I could find and didn't see this symptom mentioned.

Any ideas? TIA. Since everybody likes pictures, I'll attach one.

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

You need a driver's side window regulator. Any questions?

A common issue for these cars.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #3

My passenger regulator started doing wonky stuff like that for about a week before the cable snapped. I wouldn't worry to much. Just swap in a new one and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Garage
Resolution, kinda

Yes, BoxMann, my question was whether or not those odd symptoms may have been indicating an electrical problem beyond the motor/regulator. It occurred to me while I had it apart that the motor must be designed to reverse itself when it encounters resistance beyond a certain point, which happened once when I was testing the motor/regulator in the doo: the clamp that grabs the window hit something else on the way up and the motor reversed itself.

I took everything out of the door and took a good look. The problem may have been that the cable stretched out over the 22 years and developed some slack. I took apart the spool part of the regulator, driven directly by the motor. The two ends of the cable are wound around this yellow spool, one on the top (shown in the picture) and one on the bottom (out of sight). Both ends had bad kinks about an inch from the lead slug at the end of the cable, where the cable enters the spool- you can see it in the picture. I straightened those out and put everything back together. It still makes a tiny bit of noise but maybe about 10% of what it was.

I will order a replacement regulator for when it needs it, but I bought myself some time and can drive the car around till I get the part and can swap it out.

Cheers!

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window regulator