Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #1

Recent 2001 986 S purchase - won't start

I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster s from a friend who was the second owner. It has been sitting for a few years but was running as recently as last year as my friend would start the car once every few months. Currently, the car will not start. Since I got a pretty good deal on it, I had hopes that this DIY project wouldn't take much to work.

So I had a contact (former porsche mechanic) come by as a favor to see if he can find out what's up with the car. He checked the engine, sprayed the intake to see if the car would start, and the engine ran for about a few seconds. He then checked the fuel line to see if the engine is getting any fuel and it turns out its not. Checked all the belts, everything is good. He then proceeded to the front and noticed that the key would have a hard time turning and the fob would not respond to the remote lock/unlock. After checking the fuses and relays, he told me that I will need to replace either the ignition switch or the whole ignition unit as a starting point.

So fast forward a few months, my contact was busy with his 9-5 job that he could not help out so I decided to replace the ignition switch myself. Took about an hour to install. The key now inserts, turns, and removes smoothly now. Also, the key fob works and I am able to lock and unlock the car remotely. The only problem is, the car still won't start. I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Could it be the:

1) Ignition unit
2) Fuel Pump
3) other

I am trying my hardest to avoid taking the car to the local mechanic shop as I'm pretty sure It will cost more than I wanna to spend. Any help or suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

delfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfino View Post
I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster s from a friend who was the second owner. It has been sitting for a few years but was running as recently as last year as my friend would start the car once every few months. Currently, the car will not start. Since I got a pretty good deal on it, I had hopes that this DIY project wouldn't take much to work.

So I had a contact (former porsche mechanic) come by as a favor to see if he can find out what's up with the car. He checked the engine, sprayed the intake to see if the car would start, and the engine ran for about a few seconds. He then checked the fuel line to see if the engine is getting any fuel and it turns out its not. Checked all the belts, everything is good. He then proceeded to the front and noticed that the key would have a hard time turning and the fob would not respond to the remote lock/unlock. After checking the fuses and relays, he told me that I will need to replace either the ignition switch or the whole ignition unit as a starting point.

So fast forward a few months, my contact was busy with his 9-5 job that he could not help out so I decided to replace the ignition switch myself. Took about an hour to install. The key now inserts, turns, and removes smoothly now. Also, the key fob works and I am able to lock and unlock the car remotely. The only problem is, the car still won't start. I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Could it be the:

1) Ignition unit

2) Fuel Pump

3) other

I am trying my hardest to avoid taking the car to the local mechanic shop as I'm pretty sure It will cost more than I wanna to spend. Any help or suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I think the guy gave you bad advice.

There are OEM specs for fuel flow and pressure. If there's no fuel going to the fuel rails at all, it's most likely a bad pump or blown fuse. Check the fuse first. If it's good you can jump the fuel pump solenoid to check flow rate. If it's dead then it needs replaced.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

First off, welcome and although your ignition switch did not solve your problem, your effort to replace it was not in vain as you have eliminated a know weak spot with your car that would have bit you at some time in the future.

Air, fuel, spark.

What is condition of your battery? Have you monitored the voltage while you crank? May not have sufficient voltage to get electronics going start the car. Don't simply go by 'it sounds ok' while cranking.

Fuel pump relay is easily bypassed to make sure you are getting power to pump.

Crank position sensor...does tach move while cranking? If no movement, CPS is suspect.

You mentioned that you bought the car to DYI, but maybe you need to get some help to get the car running and get a good working baseline.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #4

To check for fuel pump operation. Remove the gas cap and listen at the filler neck, while someone else turns the ignition to the "ON" position. You should hear a whirring sound coming from the fuel tank.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #5

Thank you to everyone for allowing me to be a part of this 986 forum/community. I really appreciate everyones feedback.

To address djhii questions: Yes, my battery is a brand new Interstate MTP-48 H6 and fully charged. Last time I cranked it, the tac gauge did move up slighlty. I also listened to the gas tank as recommended by Spinnaker, but I did not hear any whirling sound in the gas tank while key was in "On" position.

As recommended by ike84, I will check the fuses and fuel pump relay next. The relay is cheap enough that I will go ahead replace it anyways. Stay tuned.

delfino is offline   Reply With Quote