Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

This happened... replacement top window

Receipt says I purchased this aftermarket top in '11. Has lived most of it's life after installation in garage. I FINALLY got it back on the road for the first time in 2 years yesterday, and I left in the in the driveway overnight last night expecting to take her out today (my birthday!)... well I noticed something.

Name:  AC0CEEB6-E505-43F7-8E0B-BFF8B62968FA.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  213.9 KB

Ugh... I actually found the original seller on ebay is still around (AutoTopsDirect) and I found on their current ad's description it says:

"WINDOW: The convertible top window bonding system provides an exceptionally clean look and extremely secure bond guaranteed to not fail for the lifetime of the original purchaser."

I emailed them.. waiting to hear back. This is such a bummer...

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #2

Ouch.

Wishing you luck.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The exact same thing just happened on my wife's car a couple weeks ago. In my case the top was new in 2015, but came from another car and I was not the original buyer. For now I have the hard top on.

I intend to take it to a local auto glass shop and see if they have a good adhesive to reattach it. Otherwise, I'm going to clean it and try 1/2" 3M Automotive Trim Tape: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069527/
Old 08-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The exact same thing just happened on my wife's car a couple weeks ago. In my case the top was new in 2015, but came from another car and I was not the original buyer. For now I have the hard top on.

I intend to take it to a local auto glass shop and see if they have a good adhesive to reattach it. Otherwise, I'm going to clean it and try 1/2" 3M Automotive Trim Tape: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069527/
I like that tape idea. Would you follow it with a sealant of some sort around where the glass mates the canvas top?

I managed to get all the old adhesive and clean the glass tonight. Exploring options. I wonder if that tape method would withstand putting the top down and stuff as well?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I haven't tried the tape yet, but as ling as it has solid coverage with no gaps it should hold without any additional sealants.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:45 AM   #6

That sucks. They might warranty the top but not the install. Did you install the top yourself or pay someone? You'll have to add the install cost into the equation. Judging from your picture, the installer did a real good job. I'd be tempted to do what Jon is going to do before I went with a warranty claim.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:31 AM   #7

I used this https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40067015/ along with the recommended primer on a glass window of a Sebring convertible years ago. Lasted for years without issue.
gdotcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

I can't remember where I saw it, either on a Motor Trend TV show or somewhere on the internet, but someone successfully re=glued the rear window into the convertible top. Maybe it was on a Wheeler Dealer episode. They rigged something up to suspend and hold the window in place while the glue set and dried. Like suction cups on the glass with strings up to the rafters. Wish I could remember where I saw that.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #9

Garage
I took some 2 part clear J-b weld and re glued mine it started to come lose along the bottom after it got back from the dealer .Used various boards and props to hold it in place while drying.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #10

Just when I was coming around to considering a glass window.....this!

Is this an Autotops Direct top?

Are the Robbins and Gahh brands better?
Old 09-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #11

I also used the 3M Window Weld to repair my wife's VW cabriolet. It worked great but you will need the Suction Cups for Convertible Glass Repair to keep tension on the glass and top while it cures. I also suggest masking the edge of the top around the window. The 3M will not clean off once it is on the fabric.
TNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Not to Hi-jack your thread...but I have a top that needs a plastic window..could I get a single replacement glass instead of a plastic one..just seems easier to replace with a glass one...what I really would like,is a plastic window with a zipper,..like the old MGB's...any chance of that happening ? Thanks Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #13

In a word: No Tops with glass windows either fold differently (factory) or use smaller windows (aftermarket). The factory top with the plastic window actually folds the plastic window when it goes down; obviously, that will create problems with a glass replacement of the same size.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #14

For some reason I haven't been getting the email replies to this thread! oops! So, the seller DID contact me via my ebay message and asked for an order confirmation number. Luckily I still had the PayPal receipt email, so I sent them that. Waiting to hear back what they plan to do (been a few days since I emailed them).

I'm waiting for the outcome from the seller before I attempt the repair, as I don't want to modify it until I know if they're going to reimburse or replace. I do plan on a re-glue of the glass itself once the dust settles. I'll update once I hear back from seller.