Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Plate mounting?

My son came home the other day and I noticed this plate hanging down. I'm not sure of the part number for this plate and it isn't obvious how this is mounted to the car. I'd prefer to identify the part, order any missing fasteners, etc. and re-attach it. This is an aluminum plate on the passenger side just in front of the rear wheel jack point. The front of the plate has a bent-up edge with a rubber strip capping it. You can see in the photo there are a number of fastener threads coming down from the car with a lot of them bent - I don't see holes on this plate to line up with these. Any help is appreciated...

Old 08-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
That is not a stock plate. It's either a custom fabricated part or an aftermarket part that I haven't seen yet. The stock undercarriage panels are plastic and often completely missing that section. My guess is that you can ignore the bent fasteners that don't align and look near the mounting holes on the plate for a place to attach them.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

That must be why I can't find it in any of the parts catalogs. BTW, I just went out to look at it again and it really doesn't fit well, leading me to believe that it could even be backward. Would it make sense to have a straight edge toward the engine? I guess I'll have to jack up the car, remove this and try and figure it out. Is 986-504-119-00 the part that should be there?
Old 09-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

OK, I was finally able to remove the aluminum plate and take a closer look. Not Porsche and not aftermarket. I'm not sure why someone would do this. Removing this solved one of the rattle issues!

Old 09-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

My jeep does not even have that kind of armour; safari 986?