Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
In that case, yes, it could very well be rolling toward the front of the car with the driveway slope. Otherwise, although highly unlikely, it could be one of the tubes running to the front of the car.
I had this weekend a small leak pretty much in same location as the OP has, showing mostly at the under the front of the engine bellypan. Also a small amount of water dripped little more forward (maybe under the seats location) as I was racing at the track.
Had to retire before last two starts and took the car home driving it... while keeping cabin heater on HOT sertting and selecting only highway roads to allow coolant to stay relateively cool - I have a low temp thermostat.
No leaks on the way home for 110km and temp stayed low.

Opened the bellypan under the engine and found out the leak coming from water temperature sensor, but only when the water was at normal or higher operating temperature and the water pressure was high.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:22 AM   #22

Unless I've missed it, a question or two that haven't been asked: How many miles on the car when you got it? And, to your knowledge, has the WP ever been replaced (by you or the PO)? If not, it's waaaaay overdue.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #23
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
I had this weekend a small leak pretty much in same location as the OP has, showing mostly at the under the front of the engine bellypan. Also a small amount of water dripped little more forward (maybe under the seats location) as I was racing at the track.
Had to retire before last two starts and took the car home driving it... while keeping cabin heater on HOT sertting and selecting only highway roads to allow coolant to stay relateively cool - I have a low temp thermostat.
No leaks on the way home for 110km and temp stayed low.

Opened the bellypan under the engine and found out the leak coming from water temperature sensor, but only when the water was at normal or higher operating temperature and the water pressure was high.

You do know the low temp therm has absolutely nothing to do with how hot/cool your engine runs, right?

Have you considered snuging up the temp sensor?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
You do know the low temp therm has absolutely nothing to do with how hot/cool your engine runs, right?

Have you considered snuging up the temp sensor?

Yes, I did get the low temp thermostat to get the water circulation open sooner

I have a new sensor on a way already and will swap it later this week as there is two large water hoses that run right below the motor mount that look like they'll at the end of the life already and I'll swap those as well.

These leaks showed up now as I changed the slightly leaking coolant reservoir last week and the pressure is now staying at the normal level :ah:
Old 08-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #25

So it's not a water pump leak? You've ruled that out?

If that's, by any chance, the original (would seem unlikely, but I think I've heard of them going that long) you should definitely change it out.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #26

2 different things going on. Pilots issue isn't the same (as far as we know so far) as the original posters issue. He was just providing information of where the OP should also look for potential leaks.

Since the OP says the leak is coming from the front it is most likely not a WP issue.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #27

found the leak but need help

Hello All,
I finally found time a month later to do this fix, as life got in the way.

I removed the belly pans/splash shield first. Did a coolant pressure test to 19PSI and actually now can see where the leak is coming from. Not sure which pipe this is but it is close to the water pump.

Looks like a T- connector connecting this hose to another hose is cracked and is the source of the leak. The pressure drops from 19PSI to 18PSI in about 5 minutes or so with the dripping.

I have attached 4 images: one from an angle from the passenger side, two from the hose that has the dripping and one that is a good picture of the full crack (red arrow).

- Cracked T-connector

- Drip from the crack

- Drip from the bottom of the hose (looks like no cracks here, just flow of coolant)

- Location of the hose from the passenger's side for context

I understand that replacing this whole hose and hose connector is needed, which will involve a full coolant flush/bleed too.

What is the interim solution ? Can I JBWeld something here ? I have a PCA meet next Saturday and would like to go for it.

Can anyone guess why the crack happened ? is it normal wear and tear or did the previous mechanic use a bad connector or something ?

Thank you in advance for advice.

Best
VK.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #28

Is the replacement part number in reference to my above post a 4-way hose or a 3-way hose ? I have an Automatic Transmission with Tiptronic.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610621212.htm?pn=996-106-212-12-M100&SVSVSI=1048&DID=21164 (3-way hose)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610652204.htm?pn=996-106-522-04-OEM&SVSVSI=1048&DID=11496 (4-way hose)

Last edited by vkmotorsports; 09-26-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding URLs to parts from Pelican parts for 3/4 way hoses.
vkmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #29

Four way…….

Tags
coolant , coolant leak