Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Immobilizer?

I was replacing the ignition assembly in my '98 986 today and was under the dashboard plugging in the plug for the ignition when a pair of black wires (attached to each other and the ends twisted together) fell down. At first I thought I disconnected something when I was removing the heater vent, but I started following the wires back and found something that has been added by a past owner. While I love a good project, I figured I would reach out to the wisdom of this board before diving in deeper.

I found this black box with 3 pairs of black wires and a single black wire and a single red wire.
  • Single read I assume is tapped into a 12v source
  • Single black wire is to ground
  • Black pair 1 - is attached to each other via spade connectors
  • Black pair 2 - is what I found under the dash and are simply twisted together (floating around uncovered under the dash - scary)
  • Third pair are spliced into one side of the clutch switch

I'm assuming this is some kind of aftermarket alarm/kill switch. Has anyone seen this (before I cut into the shrink wrap on this module)? BTW, my car didn't come with a working fob for the default alarm or any type of aftermarket alarm fob. I'd love to remove it but also don't want to introduce issues while I'm replacing the ignition switch assembly.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #2

Update - looks like there must have been a hidden switch to start the car and at some point it was removed and the wires were twisted together and shoved behind the dash. All gone now!
Old 08-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

I have (had) r exact same thing in mine. It's a hidden kill switch. There was a push button hidden in the driver's console, and the wires ran back to one of the fuses (which of the first is removed, the car won't start). Nifty little gadget, confused as hell when I first unplugged it and my car wouldn't start!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I have (had) r exact same thing in mine. It's a hidden kill switch. There was a push button hidden in the driver's console, and the wires ran back to one of the fuses (which of the first is removed, the car won't start). Nifty little gadget, confused as hell when I first unplugged it and my car wouldn't start!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Yes - but the switch in this car has been removed and the ends that used to connect to a switch was twisted together and shoved behind the dash (no wire cap, solder, connector - simply twisted together). It is gone!