Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #1

let's play "The MYSTERY SQUEAK GAME"!!!

let's play "The MYSTERY SQUEAK GAME"!!!

For anyone that wants to be a contestant, offering answers or thoughts are FREE!!!

The setup:
2002 base Boxster, just got 50k serpentine belt
NEW rotors and pads all around
New tires
New shocks

The MYSTERY SQUEAK!!! while moving
- sounds like a very mad squirrel (or maybe metal scraping would be more logical)
- only from rear right tire area
- ONLY starts and continues above about 27-30 mph, stops when below
- doesn't SEEM to change or get much faster above those speeds, maybe just a little faster gradually, but not obviously faster keeping pace with wheel spin rate
- Engine being off, hard or soft breaking, and emergency brake have NO EFFECT on the noise
- cool morning start or warmed up hot day have NO NOTICEABLE EFFECT on the noise
- is SLIGHTLY affected during lane changes or slalom, like the pitch or something, just slightly
- everything FEELS and drives fine

Bonus Round info:
- took to the shop and they heard but could not discern what it was, but everything is solid and safe to drive, they said. (I'll drop off there in a few weeks when I have time)
They thought it needed the car weight on it to happen, didn't do it up on the rack.

For those willing to play, there is no time limit, and questions are unlimited!!

One thing I considered - and I am FAR from mechanic brained at all - is remounting the tire on the 5 screw thingys, at a different rotation, and maybe some nuts were tightened down too much warping the rotor? I don't know things.

Any experiences or ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2021, 02:06 AM   #2
Seal1968

New brakes you say? If this squeak started right after...probably your best place to start.

Look at the backing plate...might have been bent when working on the brakes.

Sometimes a slight bend will allow it to rub the back or edge of the rotor just slightly, and as speed goes up, squeak goes away.

OR...pads are not seated correctly.

There's my 2 guesses.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:13 AM   #3

Garage
Maybe wheel bearing or ABS sensor is rubbing the reluctor ring due to reluctor ring swelling over time. Mine was the latter. I thought it was the bearing but it wasn't. A .010" thick 3-d printed ABS sensor shim fixed mine. It made noise between about 12 mph and 40 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5A0aPXYDVc

Last edited by El Fabricante; 08-19-2021 at 08:03 AM.
El Fabricante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
New brakes you say? If this squeak started right after...probably your best place to start.

Look at the backing plate...might have been bent when working on the brakes.

Sometimes a slight bend will allow it to rub the back or edge of the rotor just slightly, and as speed goes up, squeak goes away.

OR...pads are not seated correctly.

There's my 2 guesses.
Yes, new rotor and pretty sure pads, but only makes sense there to me too! very weird it only happens over 25mph and unaffected by breaking. But yes, started a day after I got it home from the maintenance. thanks for your input!
Old 08-19-2021, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fabricante View Post
Wheel bearing or ABS sensor is rubbing the reluctor ring due to reluctor ring swelling over time. Mine was the latter. I thought it was the bearing but it wasn't. A .010" thick 3-d printed ABS sensor shim fixed mine.
Interesting. Could that have been agitated by the break work maybe? It didn't do it before the maintenance.
Is this something I could see if I pull the wheel off? I'll look into these parts.

I want to learn all I can before I take it back and they say "your smuggulator is defraggled and needs pincerbinded to the whackamoler rotator"

Thanks for your thoughts here.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #6

I'm with Seal on the dust plate. But I'd also check inside your drum brakes. I've heard of a spring or other hardware breaking off and rubbing against the drum.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I'm with Seal on the dust plate. But I'd also check inside your drum brakes. I've heard of a spring or other hardware breaking off and rubbing against the drum.
Thanks! Since they are disc brakes, is there a drum around the pads or something? I'm not mechanical
Old 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Thanks! Since they are disc brakes, is there a drum around the pads or something? I'm not mechanical
The hand brake uses drums. The outer circle on your rear rotors makes up the disc for your regular brakes. There's also an inner circle that makes up the drum for your hand brakes.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
The hand brake uses drums. The outer circle on your rear rotors makes up the disc for your regular brakes. There's also an inner circle that makes up the drum for your hand brakes.
Cool, I had no idea. I did test hand brake, stopped, slow roll and fast roll, and it had no effect, but maybe centrifugal rotation force does something.

Pull the wheel off later and do some nosing around.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Maybe wheel bearing or ABS sensor is rubbing the reluctor ring due to reluctor ring swelling over time. Mine was the latter. I thought it was the bearing but it wasn't. A .010" thick 3-d printed ABS sensor shim fixed mine. It made noise between about 12 mph and 40 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5A0aPXYDVc
ooh! Just noticed that YOUTUBE at the end.... that is pretty much EXACTLY it! Thanks! 99.9999% sure that is the exact issue
Old 08-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #11

welp, one level of shim for mine didn't help. gonna try another level after lunch, but I suspect the thingy inside just grows to meet the challenge. Back to the mechanics if level two doesn't cut it.

Other thoughts??
Old 08-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
welp, one level of shim for mine didn't help. gonna try another level after lunch, but I suspect the thingy inside just grows to meet the challenge. Back to the mechanics if level two doesn't cut it.

Other thoughts??
How thick of a shim did you use? It may take more than .01". I can 3d print them any thickness.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
How thick of a shim did you use? It may take more than .01". I can 3d print them any thickness.
pretty thick fiber washers. tried one, still happend, tried another one and the ABS lamp turned on, and the sound was the same. Was going to pull the sensor out and tape over the hole, but guessing it would still sound. shop didn't think it was bearings, but I suspect it's that reluctor ring messed up and I can't get to that - lacking tools, skills, jack stands etc.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
pretty thick fiber washers. tried one, still happend, tried another one and the ABS lamp turned on, and the sound was the same. Was going to pull the sensor out and tape over the hole, but guessing it would still sound. shop didn't think it was bearings, but I suspect it's that reluctor ring messed up and I can't get to that - lacking tools, skills, jack stands etc.

Yeah, that probably won't work. ABS sensor gaps are fairly sensitive. Too close and it will rub. Barely too far away and it won't pick it up.

Here's what my spacers look like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284349175883
Old 08-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:

You need a shim that matches the mounting face of that sensor. Shine a light in the ABS sensor hole and look inside to see if the ring is damaged.

Here's what my shim looks like: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qQsAAOSwVwNg2F7S/s-l1600.jpg
Old 08-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Did you look at the end of the sensor for rub marks? If there are none, then the sensor wasn't the problem and washers would not be needed.