Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Old Car Guy

Radio recommendations for 986

I installed the aux cable plug, but my 210 radio won't recognize it. Watched YouTube and pushed the buttons, no good. I don't need a nav system or apple car play, but just a good plug and play radio.

I have a great magnetic mount/charger for my iPhone which works great in my other cars, but need the aux input so I can play my sat radio through the speakers from my phone.

So a good radio, don't need CD player but plug and play would be great. any recommendations.

Also what's a fair price for OEM headlights, no but marks, perfectly clear. I just installed some LED's

Old 08-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #2

Anything aftermarket isn't going to be plug & play, you will need wiring harness. If you have factory amp, things become more complicated.

You could always look for something used like a cdr220 that will do aux input.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Just go to cruthfield, buy something that suits you, and pay them to do the wiring harness for you. Best $40 you can spend.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
There is a Continental l radio that looks factory
Do a search here. IIRC, they have a harness that is PLP
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Old Car Guy

Radio recommendations fo 986

Thanks all for the suggestions. the 220's are over 300$, for that I can get a bluetooth radio Crutchfield is out of everything
Old 08-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #6

Options:
1) find a local place to buy & install a new HU for you
2) Find a used HU locally (CL, FB, etc) get a wiring harness and install yourself
3) Find a HU online, find wiring harness, find someone locally you can pay to install
4) Find a HU cut out existing harness & wire to new HU

You asked for plug & play and with a radio, this isn't going to happen or happen cheap.

Everyone has low or no inventory due to pandemic. I would just leave things as is for a year and then look for something. It's going to take that long or longer for inventory to come back into the US.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:14 AM   #7

Other option - Simple - straightforward. Your car will retain it's factory radio and look. It will be done correctly and you'll never have to worry about it again. You don't have to cut/splice wires and screw up the wiring harness. You won't have battery drain, you won't have a stupid looking aftermarket radio with all its nonsense of weird lights, screwy looking display and miniature disco balls.

Send your -210 to Becker Sound next door in New Jersey. From their website:

Porsche Radios 1996 - 1998 CR210/CDR210
Radios from this time period were not manufactured with a simple rear- panel connection for aux. The CR210 radio model can be modified for either a hardwired AUX or Bluetooth streaming . The CDR210 can be modified for Bluetooth streaming. For all modifications on these radios they will need to be sent in.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/

I have had these guys repair/restore several Boxster radios for me over the years. They are easy to work with and know what they're doing.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:04 AM   #8
Old Car Guy

Radio recommendations for 986

thanks all for the suggestions. I am not afraid to cut the harness and solder, its just a matter of how I spend my time. I'm waiting for Becker to open this morning so I can call. I pass pretty close to them in NJ on my weekly commute from upstate New York back to Brooklyn. I'm guessing that will be the way to go.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
Old Car Guy

shout out to redtele58. Dropped the radio at Becker on Tuesday for bluetooth conversion. they called and said one bad capacitor, I said replace them all. It came back in the mail today, yes very fast turn around.

the sound through the radio with my iPhone as the source is 20 times better than the sound quality of FM, at least 90 miles from Manhattan.

I am really happy with the result. reinstallation of the radio took 20 seconds.

Original look, no blue light distraction at night but now I need new speakers.

What's the recommendation for dash speakers? I don't have door speakers or rear speakers.

thanks for the help and suggestions
Old 08-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #10

Right now, recommendations dont matter. Get whatever is in your price range that you can find in inventory. This isn't much out there that is good and wont be for some time.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetman View Post
shout out to redtele58. Dropped the radio at Becker on Tuesday for bluetooth conversion... ...It came back in the mail today, yes very fast turn around... ...I am really happy with the result. reinstallation of the radio took 20 seconds... ...Original look, no blue light distraction at night....

thanks for the help and suggestions
Cool! I'm happy it worked out for you.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #12

I'm just finishing up my stereo install. I be put me 4" pioneers in the dash, 4x 2.5" pioneers in the rear shelf, a self powered cerwin verga 6x8 sub between the seats, and powered the system with a 500w boss amp with RCA passthrus and built in Bluetooth receiver. The head unit has been deleted and the amp has a be little controller that I'm gonna mount near the shifter. Ballin on a budget baby, and sounds like butta (even at 100 with the top down)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk