Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #61

Ike no sweat.
I got what your saying now.
yes there is a hose missing from the check valve to the vacuum port in the OP picture.

My thought has been that the black end of the check valve had be inserted directly into the vacuum port by a previous owner.
And as Colacharlie was trying to find a vacuum port to connect a vacuum gauge to he pulled it loose because the port was turned down so the check valve was under the collar.
He saw the check valve first then latter found the vacuum port to the side.
The reason I thought this was because in the pictures you can see Charlie has hose clams loose, a AOS hose disconnected and what looks like a screwdriver handle in the picture.
Also there were no codes for anything.
except for the no codes everything above was a guess at best.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #62

There is a code though. He showed an O2 code earlier
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 AM   #63

Hi all. Vacuum test complete plus a smoke test and small leaks found and O rings renewed, plus fuel pressure test complete and all in range and spot on. Car runs a bit better but still judders and is still horrible. I’m going to buy a set of injectors (second hand) for my 2.7 2002 and wonder if someone might know the product code of the injectors? Ps I have no access to the car Atm
colacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by colacharlie View Post
Hi all. Vacuum test complete plus a smoke test and small leaks found and O rings renewed, plus fuel pressure test complete and all in range and spot on. Car runs a bit better but still judders and is still horrible. I’m going to buy a set of injectors (second hand) for my 2.7 2002 and wonder if someone might know the product code of the injectors? Ps I have no access to the car Atm
Sorry don't know the product codes for injectors.
Ike84 or STL-986 will probably know

I take it your test for exhaust restriction tested ok?
Did you see if your CEL works??
I can also be tested with your Durametric.

Did you do another vacuum test after you found the small vacuum leaks
to see if it brought the vacuum readings up??
Old 08-10-2021, 05:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
There is a code though. He showed an O2 code earlier
Yes I saw that but he said no check engine light.
So was it a pending code????
Don't remember if Durametric shows pending codes.

Or Did it throw the code because he started it while working on it with somethig disconnected.????
Knowing when a code was thrown and under what conditions is kinda important.

Amazes me that Duarametric does not show freeze frame data. Bull **************** for the price of the thing. Some units even provide a time stamp in the freeze frame data.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #66

Garage
For original injectors Porsche 2000 3.2 motor its a 996 606 120 01 .... There is a post for a 987 injector swap but you have to modify it .You have to add the groove for the injector clamp . Its a steel keeper that clamps the injector to to he rail .
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
For original injectors Porsche 2000 3.2 motor its a 996 606 120 01 .... There is a post for a 987 injector swap but you have to modify it .You have to add the groove for the injector clamp . Its a steel keeper that clamps the injector to to he rail .
It’s a 2.7 2002 buddy so it appears to be
Old 08-10-2021, 05:59 AM   #68

yea. Durametric isnt all that it is hyped up to be.

For codes it shows pending & set codes all as just "Codes"

I'm also disapointed it wont do custom pids either. Besides the limited coding it can do, all it is doing is ready PID's. If we could ever get a list of all of the PID's it reads then we can just create them in Torquefor and not really need to buy the durametric.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #69

the injectors for the 2.7, 3.2, and 3.4 are all the same from 00 - 02. the dme just runs them on different duty cycles to adjust for different fueling needs.

these injectors are no longer being made. they were a special part made by bosch specifcally for porsche. you can remove yours and send them out for cleaning and testing (which costs about $30 per injector plus shipping), buy a remanufactured set from a company called reman, or do the 986.2 injector swap. If youre worried about the injectors, I recommend the latter - you can get them for $25 a piece and the modification takes less than 5 min per injector with a dremmel.

before you do this though, do as blue says - repeat your vac test. if your vac is still low then you haven't fixed your problem. bad injectors dont cause low vac pressure.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
the injectors for the 2.7, 3.2, and 3.4 are all the same from 00 - 02. the dme just runs them on different duty cycles to adjust for different fueling needs.

these injectors are no longer being made. they were a special part made by bosch specifcally for porsche. you can remove yours and send them out for cleaning and testing (which costs about $30 per injector plus shipping), buy a remanufactured set from a company called reman, or do the 986.2 injector swap. If youre worried about the injectors, I recommend the latter - you can get them for $25 a piece and the modification takes less than 5 min per injector with a dremmel.

before you do this though, do as blue says - repeat your vac test. if your vac is still low then you haven't fixed your problem. bad injectors dont cause low vac pressure.
Actually anything that causes a misfire results in what is called "cylinder power imbalance" which results in a drop in vacuum for the cylinder or cylinders experiencing the misfire. It is commonly seen as a "tick" of the vacuum gauge needle when the misfire occurs.
The needle reacts very much like a single cylinder valve train issue. (if it is a single cyl misfire) or multiple cylinder valve train issues if it is multiple cylinder misfires.
The needle action is identical in some instances.

Last edited by blue62; 08-10-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #71

Colacharlie,

This is going to sound crazy:
With the recent work done on your car (the Variocam work).
Was any of fuel injector wiring disconnected????
If it was go back thru them and make "certain" the right wiring connector is connected to the proper injector.
A Fella here on the forum has been having a very similar problem as you.
Misfires without any codes. Bogging or judder when trying to accelerate.
He had two injectors crossed up.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Colacharlie,

This is going to sound crazy:
With the recent work done on your car (the Variocam work).
Was any of fuel injector wiring disconnected????
If it was go back thru them and make "certain" the right wiring connector is connected to the proper injector.
A Fella here on the forum has been having a very similar problem as you.
Misfires without any codes. Bogging or judder when trying to accelerate.
He had two injectors crossed up.

Let us know what you find.
Good thought and point that buddy and a good check for anyone going through anything similar…. for me though it’s all good as I was able to replace the variocam etc from underneath with no need to remove the injectors or their rail 👁👍
Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Good thought and point that buddy and a good check for anyone going through anything similar…. for me though it’s all good as I was able to replace the variocam etc from underneath with no need to remove the injectors or their rail 👁👍
Well crap...looks like you want to keep things interesting
Old 08-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #74

Quote:
Well crap...looks like you want to keep things interesting
Arrrggghh I am loosing the will to live.

Replaced all six injectors and it’s still the same, plus I’ve got more codes up now ��

Any thoughts on what to do next / what process to follow now I’ve got this **************** list?
Attached Images

Last edited by colacharlie; 08-16-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #75

Quote:
Arrrggghh I am loosing the will to live.

Replaced all six injectors and it’s still the same, plus I’ve got more codes up now ��

Any thoughts on what to do next / what process to follow now I’ve got this **************** list?
My guess and it is just that "a guess" is that you messed up some wiring when you replaced the injectors. Or at the very least some wiring is not connected fully or correctly. Go back and double check your work. Then clear the codes and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #76

Quote:
My guess and it is just that "a guess" is that you messed up some wiring when you replaced the injectors. Or at the very least some wiring is not connected fully or correctly. Go back and double check your work. Then clear the codes and see what happens.
Okay Blue will do 👍
Old 08-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #77

with all those different codes & on both banks, it is most likely a wiring issue. Something isn't connected right or not at all.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 08-17-2021, 12:51 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
with all those different codes & on both banks, it is most likely a wiring issue. Something isn't connected right or not at all.
Okay buddy I’ll have a probe about and go over my work ��

NOTE to anyone changing their injectors- bank 1 easy. Bank 2 a total and utter muva pucker!

Last edited by colacharlie; 08-17-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Okay buddy I’ll have a probe about and go over my work ��

NOTE to anyone changing their injectors- bank 1 easy. Bank 2 a total and utter muva pucker!
I would like to start by thanking you all for your help thus far.

I found myself so disheartened with ‘Hans’ the 2.7, that after spending so much money and so much time and the problem still persists, that I have bought myself a 3.2 S low mileage from a guy who is most excellent.

I am lucky and have the space so that Hans (the 2.7) has a cosy place to sleep until I have the heartfelt energy it takes to continue on.

I am wondering, as I only replaced three of the coil packs (on Hans) - my question and pondering is that- does the ECU read only the voltage to the spark plugs, and thus would not show a coil pack failure on the Durametric? Or if one of the remaining three (old) coil packs are potentially failing1 would that potentially cause this problem, and would it show up on the Durametric?

Last edited by colacharlie; 08-20-2021 at 10:28 PM.