Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Those are lug nuts. Your car has lug bolts. I don't think that key would fit yours.
Yup, you are right. However, the keys look the same. I would buy the whole set if I can get the correct key....:ah:

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #22

Best would be to go to a tire shop and have them do it and be done with it. Most of those places have special removal tools to remove them. After that if you just got stock wheels just throw on some regular bolts
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Best would be to go to a tire shop and have them do it and be done with it. Most of those places have special removal tools to remove them. After that if you just got stock wheels just throw on some regular bolts
100%.

I will report back.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #24

[closed]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
So far,

Plan A. Buy the regular bolts from the dealer and ask them to take out the old keyed. (Told that my setup was an after market. Yes, I have the new bolts now.)

Plan B. Bought a 21mm deep-well socket (12 points), today and tried to hammer to fit 'around' the 'keys'. (Well, I am not a Thor. Thought about blow torching the socket until it would get red and hot THEN hammer. This may be Plan Z.)

Plan C. Call the parts department and speak with the "young man" who may be too young to remember what an old wheel looks like.

Plan D. Go the the tire installer next to the dealer.

Your 19mm and 18mm will be my Plan E and Plan F, respectively.
Plan C was a no go. The parts guy said if his local does not have 'old' keys.

Plan D was local tire installer said it would be best for me to visit somewhat far away Porsche dealer, Jack Daniels Porsche, Upper Saddle River NJ. This is the same dealer where I got my keys programed some years ago.

Well, after a $116.95-cup-of-coffee at the dealer, I am at peace again.

This is total for my stupidity. :ah:
$ 46.92 - Bolts
$ 10.00 - 21mm socket
$116.95 - Bolts removal and install + cup of coffee
$ 20.00 - Tip
Old 07-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:

Use a Craftsman so you can exchange it once you've ruined it!
Who exactly will do that as Sears is gone?

I have been a big fan of Craftsman tools, especially the older ones and have a couple of broken ratchets and screwdrivers I would love to get replaced, even though the new ones wont be half as good as the old ones (30-45 yeas old)

There are a bunch of others that have lifetime warranties still, Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowes
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Who exactly will do that as Sears is gone?

I have been a big fan of Craftsman tools, especially the older ones and have a couple of broken ratchets and screwdrivers I would love to get replaced, even though the new ones wont be half as good as the old ones (30-45 yeas old)

There are a bunch of others that have lifetime warranties still, Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowes
Lowe's now carries Craftsman, and I believe honors their warranty. Although I haven't tried it yet.

And you are correct. The new ones aren't nearly as good as the old ones.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:07 AM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Lowe's now carries Craftsman, and I believe honors their warranty. Although I haven't tried it yet.

And you are correct. The new ones aren't nearly as good as the old ones.
Yes, Lowes does now sell Craftsman tools and The Craftsman line was actually bought by Stanley Black & Decker. . I have heard that they don't honor the Sears warranty in many cases

FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:

"We will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we’ll replace it if we have the product. If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569)."

The operative words are:"if we have the product." I can pretty much guarantee that the part numbers Ion my older tools are different from the "new" tools. That was never an issue at Sears, buut who knows at Lowes.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Yes, Lowes does now sell Craftsman tools and The Craftsman line was actually bought by Stanley Black & Decker. . I have heard that they don't honor the Sears warranty in many cases

FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:

"We will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we’ll replace it if we have the product. If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569)."

The operative words are:"if we have the product." I can pretty much guarantee that the part numbers Ion my older tools are different from the "new" tools. That was never an issue at Sears, buut who knows at Lowes.
hmm... I think I have some Craftsman sockets that have seen better days. Maybe one of these days I'll stop by Lowe's and see what happens. When I do I'll post how it goes.