Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #1

Aftermarket seat mounting

As with all these projects, the devil is in the details...

Im down the rabbit hole of new seats (no definitive plans yet but I'm in love with the braum falcon x series) and I pulled out the passenger seat tonight just trying to get a feel for the mounting system and what I need to be looking for.

Here's my question - assuming that most of these seats don't recline and aren't mounted on sliders, how the hell do you get to all 4 bolts to mount the thing to the floor? It seems like sliders are mandatory - or are aftermarket seats just that much shorter front to back so all 4 holes are exposed at the same time?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Old 07-25-2021, 05:10 AM   #2

They would have to slide. How else could someone who was 5'2 reach the pedals vs someone who was 5'9? Otherwise the seats are going to be in a static position.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #3

This is my first time messing with seats so I only know what I've read, but I thought that a lot of racers mounted seats in surely to the floor bracket at their desired position to save on weight and to drop an extra 1/2" for roll bar clearance. I don't think that I've touched my seat slider since I've purchased the car so I don't really care of I have them, and I like the idea of dropping down closer to the floor. But i can't figure out how you could possibly get away with that considering the location of the bolt holes

Old 07-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

my fixed sparco seats are on a planted mount, which raises them up a it. The front bolts are easy to get to but the rears are a real ********************. I'm sure you could find a way to make the situation better, but I've got the seats where I want them so they don't come out often.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #5

That's what i figured - probably a blind reach with a ratchet and extension

I bought some 370z seat brackets just to compare and I struck me how much longer distance there is between the front and rear mounting bolts. That would probably help in this situation but would still be a pain I'm the ass with a fixed back seat.

I think what I'm gonna do is use the factory mount and slider on my oem seats to bottom mount a new seat. I think I figure out last night how to unbolt them without drilling any rivets.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #6

IIRC I have seen a post here regarding limited torque cycles on the stock seat mounting bolts. Do have a search....
Old 07-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
IIRC I have seen a post here regarding limited torque cycles on the stock seat mounting bolts. Do have a search....
They use those special e style heads, so that means Porsche doesn't want the reused. I was planning on replacing them with new 10.9 grade when all is sorted. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-31-2021, 04:30 AM   #8

I drilled and tapped the holes out to 1/2". Rock solid now
Old 07-31-2021, 09:24 AM   #9

Did you enlarge the existing holes or drill new ones altogether?
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I drilled and tapped the holes out to 1/2". Rock solid now
Did you enlarge the existing holes or drill new ones altogether?

Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #11

Enlarged existing holes
Old 08-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Here is my solution to floor mounting the seats, and I think it also has some info about the issue that you mention:

ARP accessory studs for race seat mounting
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Here is my solution to floor mounting the seats, and I think it also has some info about the issue that you mention:

ARP accessory studs for race seat mounting
Thanks for posting that link, very interesting stuff. I am a bit confused though, how do the studs help you? By eliminating the guess work of lining up the holes?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Thanks for posting that link, very interesting stuff. I am a bit confused though, how do the studs help you? By eliminating the guess work of lining up the holes?
In the back, I have to start the bolts by feel (can't see) in a very tight space while the seat pushes against the center tunnel,, where with the studs, the seat drops right onto the rear studs and I just have to thread the nut on, also by feel in a very tight space, but easier :-)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
In the back, I have to start the bolts by feel (can't see) in a very tight space while the seat pushes against the center tunnel,, where with the studs, the seat drops right onto the rear studs and I just have to thread the nut on, also by feel in a very tight space, but easier :-)
That makes sense, I appreciate the suggestion! Have you had any problems with those studs loosening up in the odd bolt-cut threads?

Old 08-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #16

Next question - out of sheer ignorance, again...

How rigid are fia certified seats?

For ****************s and gigs a bought a pair of nrg frp300 seats. Very nice looking but I was surprised by how flexible the main back and especially the shoulder wings are.

Before everyone flips out, I be don't plan on keeping the nrg seats. I'm talking safety seriously and will ultimately install fia certified seats. This is just a test fit of sorts.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #17

A set I sat in that were in a miata (dont know brand/model) I thought the same about the backs & wings but they must of passed fia requirements cause they had the tag on them. I wasn't much of a fan cause I just couldn't get comfortable in them.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
A set I sat in that were in a miata (dont know brand/model) I thought the same about the backs & wings but they must of passed fia requirements cause they had the tag on them. I wasn't much of a fan cause I just couldn't get comfortable in them.
Thanks for letting me know, that's helpful

I'm not crazy about the comfort of these seats. The oem seats are def more cushy and these are a bit too narrow around the middle of the back where my dad-bod chest starts to widen out. I'm hoping that the braum seats are better in this regard.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #19

Find someone with a mid 80's 911 or 944 that has sport seats. Talk about comfort and great on the track

2002 996 (SOLD)