Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

Garage
Backup camera wire routing from number question

I installed a double DIN radio and got a backup camera amd can’t figure how to run the cable from the license plate area to the tail light.
I also bought a wireless video kit so I don’t have to run the cable through the car.
I’ve searched and someone said you have to remove the spoiler, is there a way to route the cables without doing that?
I can either go through the license plate light or the round hole in the middle of the bumper behind the license plate frame.

I’ve looked for quite a while and can’t figure out where to run the cable.
Also read someone with a 2008 took out the taillight cover from the car, I did that too but there’s nowhere to run it. I have a 2001z

Any advice would be great.

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #2

run it right by the wires for the license plate lights. go through the exact same grommet the wires go through, there is no need to drill another hole in the car and you dont want to go through the tow hook hole.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #3

Does anyone know which is the vss wire on an 02 with Bose?

Check out post #15 in this thread for some photos that illustrate Stl-986's advice.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
run it right by the wires for the license plate lights. go through the exact same grommet the wires go through, there is no need to drill another hole in the car and you dont want to go through the tow hook hole.
That’s the issue, I can see in the license plate light hole and the hole behind the license plate. But where do I go from there?
I can run my hand by the tail light but that’s in a different channel than the bumper.
I put the spoiler up and can see when I shine a light in the center hole behind the plate, but ca t Figure out how to get into the trunk.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm planning to get your brake harness from this car on Sunday. The bumper is off and the trunk has been stripped out. Poke the grommet enough to push a fairly rigid wire in or out, then feed your camera wire.?
Old 07-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm planning to get your brake harness from this car on Sunday. The bumper is off and the trunk has been stripped out. Poke the grommet enough to push a fairly rigid wire in or out, then feed your camera wire.?
Ok thank you, I’m not seeing where that in on my car. I’m out and on my phone. Will look on the computer this evening

Side note question, I bought a wireless backup camera kit and I couldn’t get power to the receiver. Crutchfield said I have to tap into the Blue/Black reverse light wire and connect to the radio.
Anyone know where this wire is located up front. They said possibly behind the drivers side kick panel.
Just curious if anyone knows where the reverse wire is located?
Old 07-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #7

Would that be a reverse light wire? Check the leads to the bulbs in the white lenses for a match......I am just guessing at the wiring ...but power to the reverse lights means you are in reverse and trigger the camera simultaneously.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #8

Going to ask a dumb question, but do you have the bumper off? If so the wire & grommet in the picture about will be pretty obvious. They go into the trunk.

Suggest doing some youtube browsing on hooking up the camera. They are all universal for power, ground & reverse wire. Also for future you should be able to find the wiring for alarm/radio on the12volt.com. It will have many cars so keep it in your favorites for any other wiring diagrams.

Also suggest watching Aaron's Help Me DIY channel. With what you are doing you will want to watch it. Saves searching & asking questions cause a double din install is all there for you.

For the reverse wire you should be able to pick it up at the rear lights. Keep in mind you have to wire things also to the head unit.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks, I didn’t remove the bumper off, guess that’s why I can’t see that picture. I’ll check out that stuff.
I have a wireless system so I have the transmitter already tapped into the reverse light in the trunk, just have to route the wires from the camera to to the wires in the trunk. To get the radio to switch to camera view when I put the car in reverse, I have to tap the receiver into the reverse wire up front.

Quote:
Going to ask a dumb question, but do you have the bumper off? If so the wire & grommet in the picture about will be pretty obvious. They go into the trunk.

Suggest doing some youtube browsing on hooking up the camera. They are all universal for power, ground & reverse wire. Also for future you should be able to find the wiring for alarm/radio on the12volt.com. It will have many cars so keep it in your favorites for any other wiring diagrams.

Also suggest watching Aaron's Help Me DIY channel. With what you are doing you will want to watch it. Saves searching & asking questions cause a double din install is all there for you.

For the reverse wire you should be able to pick it up at the rear lights. Keep in mind you have to wire things also to the head unit.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Would that be a reverse light wire? Check the leads to the bulbs in the white lenses for a match......I am just guessing at the wiring ...but power to the reverse lights means you are in reverse and trigger the camera simultaneously.
Yes I’m already tapped into the reverse wire in the taillight with the wireless transmitter. Just can’t find the reverse wires in the front to hook up the receiver to.
Still have to wire the camera to the transmitter.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #11

unfortunately this means wiring diagrams....and then finding the wire. I struggle with this myself
Old 07-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
unfortunately this means wiring diagrams....and then finding the wire. I struggle with this myself
I think I’m ditching the wireless connection way. The receiver stopped working, I have to run the video/reverse cable up to the radio.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-17-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #13

the wireless ones are known to be junk.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
the wireless ones are known to be junk.
I guess so, it didn't even work for more than 5 minutes.
So I could get the radio back in and go for mountain drive this morning, I put the radio all back together and connected the video/reverse cable up to the radio and ran the cable back to behind the passenger seat. Hopefully I can do reverse of how it's normally done and can get the wire to the tail light and bumper.
I did watch a bunch of videos, and saw one when he fished the cable through a little hole in the corner of the tail light frame when the light removed. I'm going to try that and see what happens. If not then I guess I'll take the bumper off, in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-17-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #15

You need to remove the bumper to do this. It only takes 10-20 minutes to remove it. Going through the tail light is going to cause a water leak, I wouldn't go that route. Done this on a few 986 & many other cars. It really is not difficult.

You also have to wire the HU to a reverse wire so it can detect it plus the rca cable from the camera to the HU. Any competent audio shop can do this but dont let them drill through any metal, there are holes in the car you can use already. All in a a complete HU, speaker & rear camera install shouldnt take more then a day if you take your time.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #16

Garage
I'll look at removing the bumper.
I've already connected the video RCA cable to the head unit and the reverse wire to the reverse wire on the radio as well.
When I get the camera finally installed and the cable run back to it and tapped into the Blue/Black of the tail light it should all work and the monitor should go into camera view when putting the car in reverse.
When I was using wireless, I needed to find the reverse wire of the car under the dash since the wireless only receives the video signal. But now since that's not working, the reverse wire of the radio will be directly connected to the reverse wire in the tail light after it's all connected.

Quote:
You need to remove the bumper to do this. It only takes 10-20 minutes to remove it. Going through the tail light is going to cause a water leak, I wouldn't go that route. Done this on a few 986 & many other cars. It really is not difficult.

You also have to wire the HU to a reverse wire so it can detect it plus the rca cable from the camera to the HU. Any competent audio shop can do this but dont let them drill through any metal, there are holes in the car you can use already. All in a a complete HU, speaker & rear camera install shouldnt take more then a day if you take your time.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:44 AM   #17

Running the wire is a PITA and that's a fact! You can see photos of my backup camera installation here:

https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster4

Good luck with your project! - dj
Old 07-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #18

Garage
Great writeup, thanks for sharing.
I really like my license plate frame as it shows no screws. I have to return the camera I got cause it's on a molded frame and I can't use this frame with it.
Your camera with the plug and play connector looks great. My friend is bringing me his and it's the same wiring as mine and has +/- and reverse wire.
So mine will be tapped into the tail light and don't think I need the reverse wire under the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 986 S View Post
Running the wire is a PITA and that's a fact! You can see photos of my backup camera installation here:

https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster4

Good luck with your project! - dj
Attached Images

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-18-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #19

Not sure you are understanding how all of this needs to be wired.

The radio has to be connected to a reverse wire
the camera has to be connected to a reverse wire, 12+ & ground

The reverse wire on the radio is required for it to know when you are in reverse. On the camera is also for the same thing, but also to turn it on.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #20

Garage
I do understand, but the long RCA video cable front to back has the reverse wire and +-wires in the line. Since it's connected to the reverse line in the radio and the other end is tapped into the reverse in the tail light along with the camera as well, isn't that connected to the car's reverse wire on both ends?
And I'm tapping the + wire from the camera also to the reverse wire on the tail light. That way it's only powered when the car is in reverse and send 12v to the camera.

I haven't mounted the camera yet but everything is working fine how it's connected. The monitor switches to the camera view when I put the car in reverse, so it's all good.
Curious though, while I was testing, I tapped into the reverse wire in the light harness and the camera came on. I didn't even have the negative connected yet. Is that because there's also negative in the video cable and I don't need to worry about the negative wire ?

Quick clip of it working. It's also nice because this radio has a long startup, but if you put it in reverse while the radio is booting up, it quickly goes to the camera view.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atil9WC21-BZgdEgtgDHSiRdzbJuUw?e=TjLJ3d

Quote:
Not sure you are understanding how all of this needs to be wired.

The radio has to be connected to a reverse wire
the camera has to be connected to a reverse wire, 12+ & ground

The reverse wire on the radio is required for it to know when you are in reverse. On the camera is also for the same thing, but also to turn it on.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-18-2021 at 11:01 AM.