Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
If I listed all the bad things I did driving from 16 to 21 it would be a long, long list. I am just very lucky no one ever got killed which I cannot say for at least one of the cars after a night of and a morning of .

And that is exactly why I think children under 25 should not be allowed to drive on the public streets without an adult in the car! I believe from 16 to 19 all children should have an adult in the car plus only be allowed to drive during the day. From 20-25 we should gradually remove the restrictions if they continue to take yearly driving courses and tests. Zero alcohol should be strictly enforced. All cars should have satellite tracking chips so the parents can know exactly where Jr is and how fast he is driving. The cars should also have governors so they cannot exceed 35 mph. Cell phones should be 100% banned. No smoking while driving. In the future we can have two-way video monitoring as well. And of course none of that rock and roll devil music while driving.
You're talking about actually parenting and monitoring, which is a concept not many people seem to have these days anyway. Of course, if the parents had done their jobs in even this case, even this wouldn't have happened.

chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #22

teen+viper+skip barber=ivy admission

when my son was 17 we spent 3 days at a skip barber safety/driving course at lime rock. when he spun THEIR new viper off the track at 70 mph (at the direction of a brave instructor) the crowd gasped. there was no damage to the car, only to his ego. the end result was a college entrance essay about the physics of losing traction and pressing his own limits, which ended up getting him into brown university. not all teenage high speed events end up tragically.
raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #23

Lets take it easy on teen boys now. I got my Boxster 2 weeks after i turned 16 and it's been 2 and a half years and not a single speeding ticket or accident yet. I bet there are plenty of adults out there that would do something stupid behind the wheel of a viper.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 AM   #24
cartagena

I was joking. I thought everyone would have caught on by the last comment about rock n roll devil music......
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #25

Teens sure dont need a fast car to get into trouble. I am impressed by the number of accidents and violations my 17 year old son and his friends have stacked up. I would say at least half of the teens in his large circle of friends have had an accident.

My son totaled our Toyota Corolla, he was fine, car was not. His best friend just got a ticket yesterday in his parents Honda Accord, going 105 mph in a 45 mph zone, cited for reckless endangerment, looks like he is going to be bumming rides from his friends for quite some time.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #26

Smile

"My son totaled our Toyota Corolla, he was fine, car was not. His best friend just got a ticket yesterday in his parents Honda Accord, going 105 mph in a 45 mph zone, cited for reckless endangerment, looks like he is going to be bumming rides from his friends for quite some time"

Ah, if that had been my son, he biggest issue would not be bumming rides from his friends.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #27

Dead Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Teens sure dont need a fast car to get into trouble.

Ed

Exactly! Why add another 400 HP to the mix?

I was actually waiting for someone to bring up all the stupid things older people do with fast cars.....like the guy who wrecked the Enzo in California....
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
its easy to make slow cars go fast, just takes time, so getting a honda to go 100 is not a problem, but going down a 45mph zone 100 IS a problem.

so u can drive a 500 hp car slowly, but its very tempting, and when ur buddy gets in u want to show off and then this tree comes outta nowhere
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Exactly! Why add another 400 HP to the mix?

I was actually waiting for someone to bring up all the stupid things older people do with fast cars.....like the guy who wrecked the Enzo in California....
Pretty good write up on Stefan Eriksson ( the guy who wrecked the Enzo ) in wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote