Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #1

Subbie STI vs Boxster S

This was one of the best races I've ever been involved in. Wish I had a vid. My old buddy I've known since the 8th grade came up from Georgia to visit this weekend. He has I believe to be a 2002 STI but I'm not certain about the year. For those who don't know it has a turbo flat 4 with 300 hp and 300TQ from the factory. Anywho, it's stock except for a catback exhaust. He gave me a ride in it and I was impressed with the car, especially from a dig. I told him we need to run the Boxster S against it on the highway to see how things stack up. So, I get my car out and we get on the local interstate. We played around for a bit then we lined them up when traffic was all clear. We did a punch from 70mph with me in 3rd and he was in 4th. We were side by side up to about 100mph. I shifted to 4th and then he pulled a couple feet on me then he shifted to 5th and it was even again. I basically power shifted at 125 mph into 5th barely lifting off the gas so I didn't lose any ground. It was DOOR to DOOR the rest of the way to 135ish mph when we both shut it down. All shifts were at redline. This was one of the closest and one of the most exciting races I've ever experienced. These two cars are virtually dead even on the highway. We were talking after the race about how it could be so close with the subbie having a 40+ hp advantage and 70 ft/lb tq advantage and we think it comes down to weight, aerodynamics, and power loss through the drivetrain. The boxster has approx 300lb weight advantage, judging from the look of the cars it cuts through the wind better and is more aero and we all know AWD is a disadvantage on the highway because of higher parisitic driveline power losses. We might race again tonight from a dig and if we do I'll post it up but I got feeling the boxster will get spanked. Thanks for reading my story.

Last edited by Adam; 04-12-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #2

You did this on a public highway? Stupidity at it's finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
This was one of the best races I've ever been involved in. Wish I had a vid. My old buddy I've known since the 8th grade came up from Georgia to visit this weekend. He has I believe to be a 2002 STI but I'm not certain about the year. For those who don't know it has a turbo flat 4 with 300 hp and 300TQ from the factory. Anywho, it's stock except for a catback exhaust. He gave me a ride in it and I was impressed with the car, especially from a dig. I told him we need to run the Boxster S against it on the highway to see how things stack up. So, I get my car out and we get on the local interstate. We played around for a bit then we lined them up when traffic was all clear. We did a punch from 70mph with me in 3rd and he was in 4th. We were side by side up to about 100mph. I shifted to 4th and then he pulled a couple feet on me then he shifted to 5th and it was even again. I basically power shifted into 5th barely lifting off the gas so I didn't lose any ground. It DOOR to DOOR the rest of the way to 135ish mph. This was one of the closest and one of the most exciting races I've ever experienced. These two cars are virtually dead even on the highway. We were talking after the race about how it could be so close with the subbie having a 40+ hp advantage and 70 ft/lb tq advantage and we think it comes down to weight, aerodynamics, and power loss through the drivetrain. The boxster has approx 300lb weight advantage, judging from the look of the cars it cuts through the wind better and is more aero and we all know AWD is a disadvantage on the highway because of higher parisitic driveline power losses. We might race again tonight from a dig and if we do I'll post it up but I got feeling the boxster will get spanked. Thanks for reading my story.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
You did this on a public highway? Stupidity at it's finest.
It was 10 pm and there was no traffic around. If anybody was in harms way it was just me and him. I don't race unless conditions allow it.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #4

I hope I don't see you in paper wrapped around a tree like others have done thinking the same thing man.

Quote:
It was 10 pm and there was no traffic around. If anybody was in harms way it was just me and him. I don't race unless conditions allow it.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
EE3racing

Quote:

FYI, I'd do some in depth research into the laws of your state before you do that again. Assuming you never hurt yourself or anyone else, getting caught at speeds of 135 in some places will land your ass in jail, result in loss of license and in my state carries an extra surcharge of $1,500.00 above the normal speeding fines.

Update: I looked for you, you would have been nailed with reckless driving 55 points don't know it that's additive to the normal speeding or not here's a chart.

The Illinois Administrative Code, Title 92, part 1040.20(c) gives the following point values for these offenses:

* Reckless driving―55 points

* Squealing or screeching of tires―10 points

* Driving too fast for conditions―10 points

* Driving over the speed limit:

* 1 to 10mph over―5 points

* 11 to 14mph over―15 points

* 15 to 25mph over―20 points

* More than 25mph over―50 points

* Exceeding the maximum speed limit in a school zone―20 points

* Driving below the minimum speed limit―5 points

* Driving below the minimum speed limit on an Illinois tollway―20 points

* Not driving in the right-hand lane when proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic―20 points

* Exceeding the maximum speed limit on a bridge or elevated structure―10 points

Last edited by EE3racing; 04-12-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #6

So racing would be considered "reckless driving"? For some reason I thought it was call participating in a speed contest or something to that effect. Anyway, I know it's a high risk activity legally and otherwise so it's definately not something I would recammend doing on a regular basis. We knew the implied risks and did everthing possible to avoid a potentially bad outcome while still testing the cars against each other. Judging from the popularity of "kill stories" and racing threads, I think people have a genuine interest in how cars stack up in real life so that is why I am posting this.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing

* Squealing or screeching of tires―10 points
This is a little silly.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #8

good job stickin it to the man. sorry the site mentality is rather close minded when it comes to racing. :P
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #9

I have owned a moddified 2002 WRX that I bought new and an 05 STi that was fully prepped for STU autocrossing. I now own a 2000 Boxster and have test driven many Boxsters and Boxster S's over the last month before buying.

With that being said, you were obviously racing a WRX with a 2.0 flat 4 turbo that puts out 227hp (175whp). With just exhaust and tuning they put out 270-280hp (225whp).

The STi wasn't sold in the US until 2004. It has a 300hp 2.5l turbo flat 4. They put down 240-250whp and with just exhaust and tuning 350-360hp (300whp). Add meth injection and you get 330whp and 450+wtq.

If you friends car had the round headlights, you were not racing an STi. If infact he does own an STi, then he doesn't know how to drive very well. I love Boxsters. They are wonderful cars to drive, but the STi was a brutal machine and will eat Boxsters all day long in a straight line. 0-60 4.5 sec, 1/4 mile 13 sec stock.

Also, it is a lot cheaper to plan a night at the drag strip or a day at a local autocross than to get a triple digit ticket. I got one of those when I was young and stupid and it cost driving for a year and over a $1000 fine.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
HB.

I know how it feels when the adrenalin kicks in, and you crave to go for it. It happened to me the first week of owning my Boxster. Luckily nobody was hurt, but just over 15k worth of damage, and waiting almost 5 months for the body shop to repair all the damages, was a lesson taught hard. Guess I failed to mention I don't have that car anymore due to the racing accident! I'm on my second Box now, for some reason this dark blue model doesn't catch the attention like my previous black one.

I'm sure if you go at it again, on the track or strip, the STi will eat you alive from 0 - xxx
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
EE3racing

Quote:
So racing would be considered "reckless driving"? For some reason I thought it was call participating in a speed contest or something to that effect. Anyway, I know it's a high risk activity legally and otherwise so it's definately not something I would recammend doing on a regular basis. We knew the implied risks and did everthing possible to avoid a potentially bad outcome while still testing the cars against each other. Judging from the popularity of "kill stories" and racing threads, I think people have a genuine interest in how cars stack up in real life so that is why I am posting this.

I quoted the reckless as I saw that in Illinois it is +40 over posted speed. I'm not judging you or any speeders, I've driven as fast on public roads but only with an officer in the passengers seat. I am just pointing out getting caught could really suck financially and otherwise, nothing else.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #12

NO, it's not a WRX, it's an STI. I know the difference between the two. This one has the gold wheels, gold brembo brakes, non round headlights, it says STI on the seats. I might be off by a year or two, but it's definately and STI. I've seen several at autocrosses so I know what they look like and what they are capable of. I don't know why you doubt what I say though? I know that the STI will stomp a boxster S in a 0-60 race because of the awd grip, but on the highway they are dead even for the reasons I said in my original post. The trap speeds of my car and an STI in the 1/4 mile are nearly identical @ around 102 mph. A car that traps at 102 mph isn't real quick and the STI may be a killer from 0-60 but it's certainly no king on the highway. Maybe you drove a pre-03 boxster S they are a tad slower? I've raced a WRX before and he got schooled. Anyway, you can believe what you want to believe.
His looks just like this blue one, except it's grey.
http://www.supercarsite.net/subaru/impreza-wrx-sti/2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
I have owned a moddified 2002 WRX that I bought new and an 05 STi that was fully prepped for STU autocrossing. I now own a 2000 Boxster and have test driven many Boxsters and Boxster S's over the last month before buying.

With that being said, you were obviously racing a WRX with a 2.0 flat 4 turbo that puts out 227hp (175whp). With just exhaust and tuning they put out 270-280hp (225whp).

The STi wasn't sold in the US until 2004. It has a 300hp 2.5l turbo flat 4. They put down 240-250whp and with just exhaust and tuning 350-360hp (300whp). Add meth injection and you get 330whp and 450+wtq.

If you friends car had the round headlights, you were not racing an STi. If infact he does own an STi, then he doesn't know how to drive very well. I love Boxsters. They are wonderful cars to drive, but the STi was a brutal machine and will eat Boxsters all day long in a straight line. 0-60 4.5 sec, 1/4 mile 13 sec stock.

Also, it is a lot cheaper to plan a night at the drag strip or a day at a local autocross than to get a triple digit ticket. I got one of those when I was young and stupid and it cost driving for a year and over a $1000 fine.

Last edited by Adam; 04-12-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #13

It's not racing per se, it's the possible end results. It's tough driving a sports car within the speed limits but it's the consequences that are a kick in the teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
good job stickin it to the man. sorry the site mentality is rather close minded when it comes to racing. :P
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #14

I had an 05 STi for roughly a year, and let me tell you, it will eat a Boxster in a straight line. If he really has an STi, he's clearly not driving it to its potential. The only real downside to the Subie is that it is a brick in the wind, and due to its gearing, is not a great autobahn car, though it was never designed to be either. Still, from a 3rd gear pull, he should have pulled on you pretty well.

As to the legality of all this, we all know its illegal and not the wisest thing to do.

Patrick
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #15

"Stupid is as Stupid does..." - Forrest Gump
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I had an 05 STi for roughly a year, and let me tell you, it will eat a Boxster in a straight line. If he really has an STi, he's clearly not driving it to its potential. The only real downside to the Subie is that it is a brick in the wind, and due to its gearing, is not a great autobahn car, though it was never designed to be either. Still, from a 3rd gear pull, he should have pulled on you pretty well.

As to the legality of all this, we all know its illegal and not the wisest thing to do.

Patrick
I think the STI is a great car, but you're right it's not a highway killer. It has a lower top speed than the boxster S because it is pretty much a brick and that large hood scoop doesn't help matters either. But, I think some of you guys are acting like STI fan boys saying the boxster S will get killed on a highway roll. The subbie traps the 1/4 @ approx 102 mph just like my boxster! Just right there you should realize they would be pretty close on a highway roll. The subbie is hard to beat 0-60, but that's about it. I rode with the guy before we raced, he knows how to shift and he was giving it all it had when we raced. Highway racing is pretty hard to screw up guys! Just push on the gas and steer straight! It isn't that complicated and there isn't much skill involved. I feel like a posted this on a STI forum with all the doubters but I kinda expected it since the STI is a little overated and some people just think it's invincible.

Last edited by Adam; 04-12-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #17

I own a 986 BoxsterS and have owned a Impreza GT Turbo tuned by prodrive to about 260bhp. I've done several "races" agains eachother and untill about 200km/h there have roughtly the same performance. GT turbo gets a bit faster from the line though with its torque engine and 4WD.

A well tuned WRX would roughtly be the same as well although it's a bit heavier than the GT Turbo model.

Currently the Impreza is gone and replaced by a Mitsubishi EVO 8 MR RS with 360bhp. A (very) well tuned Sti 06 can be compared to this EVO. And the EVO kills the BoxsterS with ease...

A well tuned Sti would eat the BoxsterS in a straight line I think (at least the 986 with 252bhp).

Race carefully...

Mark.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:

Candidly, it is so nice that you "knew the implied risks and did everything possible to avoid a potentialy bad outcome." I have no issue if you two kill each other.

I would be very worried about the innocents that you take with you.

Do us a favor, grow up or get off this forum.

Closed Thread