View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Sputter

You did this on a public highway? Stupidity at it's finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
This was one of the best races I've ever been involved in. Wish I had a vid. My old buddy I've known since the 8th grade came up from Georgia to visit this weekend. He has I believe to be a 2002 STI but I'm not certain about the year. For those who don't know it has a turbo flat 4 with 300 hp and 300TQ from the factory. Anywho, it's stock except for a catback exhaust. He gave me a ride in it and I was impressed with the car, especially from a dig. I told him we need to run the Boxster S against it on the highway to see how things stack up. So, I get my car out and we get on the local interstate. We played around for a bit then we lined them up when traffic was all clear. We did a punch from 70mph with me in 3rd and he was in 4th. We were side by side up to about 100mph. I shifted to 4th and then he pulled a couple feet on me then he shifted to 5th and it was even again. I basically power shifted into 5th barely lifting off the gas so I didn't lose any ground. It DOOR to DOOR the rest of the way to 135ish mph. This was one of the closest and one of the most exciting races I've ever experienced. These two cars are virtually dead even on the highway. We were talking after the race about how it could be so close with the subbie having a 40+ hp advantage and 70 ft/lb tq advantage and we think it comes down to weight, aerodynamics, and power loss through the drivetrain. The boxster has approx 300lb weight advantage, judging from the look of the cars it cuts through the wind better and is more aero and we all know AWD is a disadvantage on the highway because of higher parisitic driveline power losses. We might race again tonight from a dig and if we do I'll post it up but I got feeling the boxster will get spanked. Thanks for reading my story.