Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Door latch problem or something else?

Hi,

My 2000 base boxster has been doing this for a while but never got around to diagnosing it.

When I open the car by fob or key, the first 2 times I pull the drivers door handle the door doesn't open, only the window drops. The third time's the charm and the door finally opens. It only does this after the door has been locked by fob, key or from the button on the dash. Pulling the inside handle does the same thing after being locked. Once the car is unlocked everything works as it should.. Passenger door works fine.

Its probably not a microswitch since the window drops so im thinking latch. Wonder if its something I can fix on the latch or need to get a used working one?

Let me know your thoughts please, I figure it's only a matter of time until it fails completely.

Thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #2

next time, give the door a bump with your hip. If it opens then the problem is that the latch isn't alighted perfectly.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
next time, give the door a bump with your hip. If it opens then the problem is that the latch isn't alighted perfectly.
Nothing to lose by trying thanks!

On my audi TT, sometimes the doors wont open and if I just press down on them a bit they open. Probably a latch problem there. They also vibrate up and down while driving because of that.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

It sounds funny to type that out but when you do it...and it works, it will make sense. Someone else had the same problem a few weeks ago.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
It sounds funny to type that out but when you do it...and it works, it will make sense. Someone else had the same problem a few weeks ago.
And is there a way to readjust or just get a new latch?
Old 05-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #6

yes, look at the door jam, there are 2 ways to do adjustments. adjust(loosen, move, tighten) the latch and/or the catch.

or just leave it as is. I have a 2000 that does this and I have just dealt with it vs messing with getting things lined up.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:30 AM   #7

Quote:
yes, look at the door jam, there are 2 ways to do adjustments. adjust(loosen, move, tighten) the latch and/or the catch.

or just leave it as is. I have a 2000 that does this and I have just dealt with it vs messing with getting things lined up.
Gave it the bump and opened on the first try, thank you sir! Now I gotta fiddle with it to see if I can adjust the latch/catch.

Most likely its the latch getting old, the catch itself seems fine and doesn't seem like it moved at all but ill probably fiddle with the catch itself as it would be easier to revert to the original position if I screw things up. I think.. we'll see how it goes!
Old 05-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

is adjustable on jam portion - both horizontally and vertically. Before doing so try lubricating door "catch" portion liberally and work in by open/close repeatedly.

Otherwise... look at your door jam piece and will see lines marked for micro adjustments and as indexed on vehicle body like this:

As you can see, very fine tuning... Anywho, put wrap or two of painters tape around outermost bar of jamb piece (parallel to door skin as if closed. Open & close door a few times and note where the tape wears thru. Adjust accordingly (slightly and most likely in opposite direction of wear).

Triple square drive bit needed... can't recall size off hand.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
is adjustable on jam portion - both horizontally and vertically. Before doing so try lubricating door "catch" portion liberally and work in by open/close repeatedly.

Otherwise... look at your door jam piece and will see lines marked for micro adjustments and as indexed on vehicle body like this:

As you can see, very fine tuning... Anywho, put wrap or two of painters tape around outermost bar of jamb piece (parallel to door skin as if closed. Open & close door a few times and note where the tape wears thru. Adjust accordingly (slightly and most likely in opposite direction of wear).

Triple square drive bit needed... can't recall size off hand.

Good luck
This is fantastic insight! Will definitely try and report back!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #10

so.. to update this thread. i never ended up adjusting the door latch because my little workaround of just pulling the handle twice or giving it a nudge kept working.. until one day it didnt and the door wouldnt open at all. I had to do the dukes of hazard entry and exit for a few days while i waited for a new latch to arrive from pelican parts. After taking the door card off with the door closed i still couldnt get it to open even after pulling the latch switches from inside the door. i was almost defeated but youtube came through as it often does and once i learned how the latch internals work i started tapping the door latch area with a fist while pulling the handle and it opened. I put a new replacement latch and the door opens better than ever now.

the lesson I learned is not to put off repairs, even on some things that seem minor annoyances. boy did i learn this one the hard way!