Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #21
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I am building (still WIP) my own magsafe wireless recharging DAB+/sat, backup camera with internal speaker & 12V Battery status indicator "IPHONE 12pro" holder.
I am striving for a blade runner junk look...lol
Works already like a charme and holds in place due to the magsafe magnets.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
I am building (still WIP) my own magsafe wireless recharging DAB+/sat, backup camera with internal speaker & 12V Battery status indicator "IPHONE 12pro" holder.
I am striving for a blade runner junk look...lol
Works already like a charme and holds in place due to the magsafe magnets.
There’s a need for this. I have yet to find a solution that will work with a rubber case on the phone. How strong are The Rennline Magnets? Does one need to glue a metal plate to the back of a rubber case for it to work? Does the phone move around when you hit bumps, etc. Their design looks like the cleanest install to me, but I have questions.
Thanks
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
There’s a need for this. I have yet to find a solution that will work with a rubber case on the phone. How strong are The Rennline Magnets? Does one need to glue a metal plate to the back of a rubber case for it to work? Does the phone move around when you hit bumps, etc. Their design looks like the cleanest install to me, but I have questions.
Thanks
Magnets aren't that strong. Far from strong enough if you ask me.
You will need either a metal plate behind your case or it'll rattle off the mount if you don't take it out of the case.

That was for a Samsung Galaxy.
My Pixel 5 won't even mount to it with the case on. Just straight slides off.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordrack View Post
Magnets aren't that strong. Far from strong enough if you ask me.

You will need either a metal plate behind your case or it'll rattle off the mount if you don't take it out of the case.

That was for a Samsung Galaxy.

My Pixel 5 won't even mount to it with the case on. Just straight slides off.
Sorry but I have to disagree. The thickness of the case matters quite a bit, but the magnet mount I have is phenomenal. My wife bought it at some gas station years ago. The magnet on the phone is as long as my phone is wide, so it's taped on the back of my phone and under my case (which is thick along the edges but very thing along the back). It has never once come loose from the mount. The mount will sway back and forth across the dash during high g turns thanks to the weight of the phone, but the system as a whole has yet to fail me in several years of use.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree. The thickness of the case matters quite a bit, but the magnet mount I have is phenomenal. My wife bought it at some gas station years ago. The magnet on the phone is as long as my phone is wide, so it's taped on the back of my phone and under my case (which is thick along the edges but very thing along the back). It has never once come loose from the mount. The mount will sway back and forth across the dash during high g turns thanks to the weight of the phone, but the system as a whole has yet to fail me in several years of use.

That's cool.
I think our cases are 2-3mm thick on the back. Kinda hard to tell with any degree of accuracy.

But GF always removes her case before using it and mine won't even mount.
Plus again. No wireless charging.

Been toying with the idea of finding a wireless charging pad that fits the mount and frankensteining a solution.

Would be a really nice setup.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordrack View Post
That's cool.

I think our cases are 2-3mm thick on the back. Kinda hard to tell with any degree of accuracy.

But GF always removes her case before using it and mine won't even mount.

Plus again. No wireless charging.

Been toying with the idea of finding a wireless charging pad that fits the mount and frankensteining a solution.

Would be a really nice setup.
The wireless charging is difficult. I have an Android and android auto requires a cable, so I ran the usbc through the dash and out the side of the instrument cluster. First thing I do when I get in is hook the phone to the mount, plug the phone in, AA starts immediately, and off I go. I truly hate cords though, so I hear what youre saying.

One idea - place a wireless charger in the center console and run the power to the phone harness in the front. You won't be able to see the phone but there won't be any wires.

If I were keeping my center console as is and was dead set on wireless charging, what I would do is use the open slot in the lower center console above the HVAC control. Deconstruct a wireless charging base, marry it to a clip in phone mount that I liked (magnets will interfere with the qi charger), and make it fit in that slot. Power from the phone harness. Bam. You lose the slot but gain the charger. It's all about compromises lol. But I think the best interior mods for these cars have always been the custom ones.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:02 PM   #27

Very nice phone mount ideas here ... I myself was more interested in a simple inexpensive yet functional mount, that would allow me to do practical things such as viewing clearly google maps and directions - without endless fumbling.

This one is from Amazon and cost me $9 ... It fits perfectly, with the clamp gently grabbing the vent . It is light weight and does the job, for me.

Easily clips out of the vent by pushing the top plastic button on the rear, when you don't need it or don't want it.

Yes it's at the right height and clearly visible ... No it does not block anything, except possibly half a right-side vent. And with the top down you don't care anyhow :-)

Last edited by Herbert W. Hamber; 01-14-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Herbert W. Hamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:02 PM   #28

The nice one comes from Germany and is available in colors to match your interior color

http://www2.kudausa.com/
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:57 AM   #29

Garage
I have the lower console Rennline mount as well, and even with a few different MagSafe mounts I've tried, its a funky location. I found an inexpensive MagSafe magnetic ring that fits the 17mm ball of the Rennline mount that is offset from center. If I rotate a mount to the right, it hits my passenger's leg. Rotate it up and I block the 12V (no charging) and rotating it inward I hit it with my knuckles. Plus the location is just not safe for using maps.

Rennline also has this option, not sure if I will mind it blocking the central locking and defrost switches but the location is improved:

Old 02-14-2023, 04:18 PM   #30

I just installed one of those (ordered by mistake, wanted the lower one), and it works better than I expected. If you don't turn the phone that far, there is plenty of clearance for my fingers to hit the switches. Only problem is that my phone case is a little thicker than it ought to be for a magnet, so it doesn't hold as strong as I would like.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert W. Hamber View Post
Very nice phone mount ideas here ... I myself was more interested in a simple inexpensive yet functional mount, that would allow me to do practical things such as viewing clearly google maps and directions - without endless fumbling.

This one is from Amazon and cost me $9 ... It fits perfectly, with the clamp gently grabbing the vent . It is light weight and does the job, for me.

Easily clips out of the vent by pushing the top plastic button on the rear, when you don't need it or don't want it.

Yes it's at the right height and clearly visible ... No it does not block anything, except possibly half a right-side vent. And with the top down you don't care anyhow :-)

Amazon's got a LOT of cell phone mounts for sale. You got a link for this one? Or at least a manufacturer's name?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:06 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I just installed one of those (ordered by mistake, wanted the lower one), and it works better than I expected. If you don't turn the phone that far, there is plenty of clearance for my fingers to hit the switches. Only problem is that my phone case is a little thicker than it ought to be for a magnet, so it doesn't hold as strong as I would like.
Got any pictures of it? I am on the fence about ordering yet another mount (I've been on this mount kick with the other cars...). I normally find a better magnet with a 17mm socket on Amazon. $10 for the offset one below that's hollow in the middle. I have a magsafe case but not from apple and it too gets knocked off a bit too easy. I may try some other cases and magnets.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:15 PM   #33

I'll try to get some tomorrow, I sat down in the car today and thought 'I should take a photo,' and of course I couldn't because the camera is on the phone... would have used my work phone but the wife took my charging cord, so when that charges and the sun comes up I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #34

Even when tilted left as much as I would care for, it doesn't really block anything.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2023, 01:20 AM   #35

This is a nice one. It has a wireless charger.
miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:54 AM   #36

I use the Rennline lower mount, and I found the ball matches the socket of an Amazon wireless charger that I have in all of our cars, so it works perfectly:

The mount I used can be found on Amazon by searching for 'YITUMU Wireless Car Charger,15W Qi Fast Charging Auto-Clamping Car Phone Holder, Air Vent Windshield Dashboard Car Phone Mount,Long Arm Suction Cup Phone Holder for iPhone Samsung LG'

Excuse the dust, I had an HPDE this weekend and have not had a chance to clean the interior.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #37

Phone Mount: I have struggle phone mount same like you. My main issue is, where to mount your phone, where it’s not intrusive, you can see your navigation, and it’s easy to use, without blocking your view. I’m not a fan of blocking my air vents with vent mounts, and my wireless charging is impacted by magnetic mounts.
I Mount it to the left side so it is not in my way. I put a pipe insulation around the arm so that it could rest on my dash without damaging it, and bear some of the weight of the phone. It makes the phone unobtrusive and is at eye level to see my navigation, on twisty roads I can see the curves, and it doesn’t block my view.

I am going to wrap the pipe foam with leather so that it is more aesthetically pleasing.

Here is what I purchased. I am not endorsing this brand, simply this ‘style’ that works for me.
https://a.co/d/8i2aAvq