Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #1

Unknown boxster functions

any functions that porsche doesn't really tell you about the 01 boxsters at all? i know the bmw i used to have had certain features that no one ever told you..but are really neat. like speed sensing wipers and you can turn the key in the keyhole backwards and hold it for 4 seconds and it will close the windows for you.

03b0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03b0x
any functions that porsche doesn't really tell you about the 01 boxsters at all? i know the bmw i used to have had certain features that no one ever told you..but are really neat. like speed sensing wipers and you can turn the key in the keyhole backwards and hold it for 4 seconds and it will close the windows for you.
Hi,

Don't know what you know or have already found out. But, all cars come with the OBC (On Board Computer), it just needs to be turned ON by the Dealer, and you may need the Ambient Temp probe and Grill. This will display the Ambient Temp. With the 4th Stalk on the Column Switch, or a MO switch, you can scroll through the functions: Range, Avg. MPG, Avg. Speed, Ambient Temp, Speed Alert, ('97-'00 Cars) in '01, they also added Stored Faults, Engine Oil Level Gauge and Digital Speedo.

The Boxster also has the convenience feature of opening/closing the windows if the turn and hold the key in the door lock for 2 sec.

In the '97-'00 (and I've heard some early '01s) the Climate Control can be put into a Diagnostic mode and display up to 36 different Climate Control and Engine Functions including Ture Speed (in kph) without the Porsche Safety Factor (usually +3-5mph), Oil Temp, Coolant Temp (in °C), etc.

You can trigger the Motion Sensor with the Top Down by using the Red Clip on the Top Latch Receiver.

There may be more, but these are all I can think of off the top of my head...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #3

what is the motion sensor with the top down? is the red clip something you put into where the vert latches in and it turns on some kind of motion sensor when the alarm is engaged? if so thats really awesome!

my other question is. i noticed the boxster doesn't beep or anything when the alarm is engaged. so say you accidentally hit the button twice and it ends up unlocking it. after a while will the car lock itself? thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

It's amazing what you can find through a google search

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/hacks
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03b0x
what is the motion sensor with the top down? is the red clip something you put into where the vert latches in and it turns on some kind of motion sensor when the alarm is engaged? if so thats really awesome!

my other question is. i noticed the boxster doesn't beep or anything when the alarm is engaged. so say you accidentally hit the button twice and it ends up unlocking it. after a while will the car lock itself? thanks for the help guys!
Hi,

Yes, the Motion Sensor can be tricked into thinking the Top is UP with the Red Clip - http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/inpr1.html .

If you accidently Unlock the car, and the door is not opened within 60 sec., the car will relock and rearm itself. This is for what you describe, but also to prevent a Garage Door Opener or such from deactivating the alarm accidently.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-03-2006 at 09:47 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #6

A couple of other unknown boxster functions are:

1. Creates envy on the part of friends and most of the strangers you encounter on the road. You may also be caracterized as a prick, or a man with a mid-life crisis, even if you are 24 years old.

2. A substantial drain on one's bank account. Any P-car, even one in pristine condition with very low miles isn't cheap to own. Insurance, tires and oil changes are far more than non-performance automobiles.

3. An overwhelming desire to mod an automobile, possibly for the first time in one's life. It's an addiction that I am now proud to have, and I have no shame whatsoever when I talk openly about side skirts, superchargers, over-priced interior parts, etc.

4. Possible point of argument with spouse when choosing a $1100 set of Michelins versus something far more reasonable; Fueling the vehicle at Chevron and ONLY Chevron; refusing to take the Boxster to a grocery store or shopping mall; refusing to drive the car on days when there is a 10% or greater chance of rain; a desire to drive with the top down regardless of how it tangles the wife's hair, etc.

...just thought I'd throw in some things most future boxster owners just don't consider because they're a myopic and only thinking about the car itself!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
A couple of other unknown boxster functions are:

1. Creates envy on the part of friends and most of the strangers you encounter on the road. You may also be caracterized as a prick, or a man with a mid-life crisis, even if you are 24 years old.

2. A substantial drain on one's bank account. Any P-car, even one in pristine condition with very low miles isn't cheap to own. Insurance, tires and oil changes are far more than non-performance automobiles.

3. An overwhelming desire to mod an automobile, possibly for the first time in one's life. It's an addiction that I am now proud to have, and I have no shame whatsoever when I talk openly about side skirts, superchargers, over-priced interior parts, etc.

4. Possible point of argument with spouse when choosing a $1100 set of Michelins versus something far more reasonable; Fueling the vehicle at Chevron and ONLY Chevron; refusing to take the Boxster to a grocery store or shopping mall; refusing to drive the car on days when there is a 10% or greater chance of rain; a desire to drive with the top down regardless of how it tangles the wife's hair, etc.

...just thought I'd throw in some things most future boxster owners just don't consider because they're a myopic and only thinking about the car itself!

hahaha ohh man best info i've gotten so far!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #8

I just noticed you are in Dallas. You should get to know Jeph (name and screen name), who lives in your general part of the world. Seems like a great guy from all the emails we've exchanged.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote