Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #1

P21S vs. S100

I read on the Wikipedia pages for the Boxster that S100 is the same as P21S, but half the price if bought at a Harley Davidson dealership.

So, I went down to the neighborhood hog store and bought some for $14.99. The stuff looks & smells identical, the marketing copy is the same, and the size of the container is the same too.

Thought I'd pass this along to those of you who are in the market for some excellent 100% carnauba wax for your fine German ride.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #2

I've tried both as well, identical. Some differences but not any that the once in a blue moon user would notice. The only drawback with this Carnauba stuff from my experience is that it tends to draw dust. One windy day I laid down some S100, went into a store for less than an hour and when I came back there was debris everywhere. I took a bottle of spring water and wiped away the crap and topped with an anti-static detailer. An hour later no debris.
I think its a must if you are leaving Carnauba bare.
Chemical Guys and FK1 (two distinct co.'s) sell anti-static toppers.
you can also seal Carnauba layers with FK FX100 one of the few sealers
that will work over both Carnauba and synthetics without streaking.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
bmussatti

Randall, here is a good "read" about your subject:

http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/faqs/p21svss100.asp

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-02-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I read on the Wikipedia pages for the Boxster that S100 is the same as P21S, but half the price if bought at a Harley Davidson dealership.

So, I went down to the neighborhood hog store and bought some for $14.99. The stuff looks & smells identical, the marketing copy is the same, and the size of the container is the same too.

Thought I'd pass this along to those of you who are in the market for some excellent 100% carnauba wax for your fine German ride.

I've used the entire line of S100 on my BMW r1150RT for years and have been very satisfied. Their wash is a spray on after you wet down. Very easy, effective, great shine.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
ok i read that writeup

P21S is White carnauba, whish is more optically-clear, more expensive, and less durable than the yellow carnauba.

P100 is Slightly more yellow than P12S and is more durible but for a reason, its a motocycle wax, It needs to be more durible cause the body on a moto is more exposed to the heat of the engine than a car is... Not counting the Hood.

With reading that, I would still perfer using the more durible wax P100, while i dont have an engine under the "hood" of my car, it does get pretty damn hot with the sun beating down on it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
holy crap

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #7

Yeah, I gotta get me som o dat shine on my black boxster this weekend!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #8

Me too - this might be the last weekend I can make it happen before it gets too cold.

On the up-side, I may be moving to Houston in the Spring - will be able to keep the Box shiny all year round then!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #9

Dr. Kill, should you move here, keeping your car shiny will the last thing on your list. It's too stinking hot and humid 8 months out of the year to be outside... unless you are forced to sit in gridlock traffic.

But we have ZERO snow to shovel. Ever. Plus, with global warming, we'll never have it either!

BTW, regular unleaded is 1.97 a gallon right now here. Yup, we got cheap gas here too.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Dr. Kill, should you move here, keeping your car shiny will the last thing on your list. It's too stinking hot and humid 8 months out of the year to be outside... unless you are forced to sit in gridlock traffic.

But we have ZERO snow to shovel. Ever. Plus, with global warming, we'll never have it either!

BTW, regular unleaded is 1.97 a gallon right now here. Yup, we got cheap gas here too.

With that heat, Randall, your nice carnuba wax just melts off in a few days.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #11

I've used S100 Total Cycle Cleaner on all my bikes and it does a great job !

Been using P21S Total Auto Wash on the Boxster and very pleased with the results...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:

Yeah, I grew up in Florida so I know the deal with the heat. The gas prices sound nice. What is the most exciting to me though is the price of homes - holy cow they are cheap where you are! It looks like we could get a much nicer house in Houston for less than half of what we think we can sell our house for here in NJ. If only Porsches cost half as much too - that would seal deal.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #13

Housing is cheaper here... but it's catching up to the rest of the US quickly. So you'll enjoy it the first time you translate your NJ house cash into Houston house cash, but you'll whine like a baby after that.

Now I must also add that in Harris county (in which Houston resides) my property taxes have risen 10% per year like clockwork... and they will only lower them under protest after you prove three different ways that they screwed up and your house isn't worth what they say it is worth.

Having your property taxes double every 7.5 years sucks. On my salary, even saving a bunch of money for retirement each year, I will probably be forced to move out of my home of 35+ years because it has skyrocketed in value (and tax value too) and I can't afford to pay 10k a year (or far, far more) in taxes when I retire. There is no legislation in the works to correct this as of yet... and the lawmakers only see a huge loss of taxpayer income by doing it, so they always make it last on the agenda and they never get around to it.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Housing is cheaper here... but it's catching up to the rest of the US quickly. So you'll enjoy it the first time you translate your NJ house cash into Houston house cash, but you'll whine like a baby after that.

Now I must also add that in Harris county (in which Houston resides) my property taxes have risen 10% per year like clockwork... and they will only lower them under protest after you prove three different ways that they screwed up and your house isn't worth what they say it is worth.

Having your property taxes double every 7.5 years sucks. On my salary, even saving a bunch of money for retirement each year, I will probably be forced to move out of my home of 35+ years because it has skyrocketed in value (and tax value too) and I can't afford to pay 10k a year (or far, far more) in taxes when I retire. There is no legislation in the works to correct this as of yet... and the lawmakers only see a huge loss of taxpayer income by doing it, so they always make it last on the agenda and they never get around to it.
bah, taxes - it is a serious problem up here too - a family should not have to pay more than $1,000 per month in property taxes - of if they do, they should see more of a return.

I have a friend down your way and he has told me the same thing - he mentioned too that auto insurance is strangely expensive there too.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti View Post
Randall, here is a good "read" about your subject:

sportscarcare.com
I know this thread is SUPER OLD, and it's probably the reason why the URL you mentioned doesn't have that article anymore... but does anyone know where I can get an honest comparison of P21S vs. S100. I know there are plenty of other products out there that can be used, but I'm one of those "if it's not broke, don't fix it" type of guys. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill View Post
Me too - this might be the last weekend I can make it happen before it gets too cold.

On the up-side, I may be moving to Houston in the Spring - will be able to keep the Box shiny all year round then!
Houston does have it's good days and it's bad, but when hurricane season comes around... the weather is nothing nice. Haha... there is no product on the market that can a car the protection it needs... besides a garage; and sometimes that's not even enough. Lol.

pacified is offline   Reply With Quote