Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Other TBD / Wavetrac alternatives or options for Boxster?

Hi folks,

I have been waiting with my car in pieces for 5 months while on Wavetrac twiddles their thumbs and tells me "two more weeks" each time to have their TBDs back in stock. I'm told it's not a hot seller for them so they don't really care.

What are my other options here? I know Quaife makes an LSD, but really set on the TBD. Is anyone else making a decent one that fits the 987 S / 986 2.7 Gearbox?

Last edited by beater986; 04-19-2021 at 02:44 PM.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:15 AM   #2

Garage
TBD = Torque biasing differential.
Always a good idea to mention what rather obscure initialisms and acronyms mean. Well it was obscure to me, I had to do a search. Had to look up the difference between initialisms and acronyms too.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Why don't you want the Quaife? It's not a plate type LSD.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

I am super confused by this post. The 987s and 986 2.7 (base) are totally different gear boxes. What exactly are you trying to do? Sorry if I missed something.

If you're just looking for a quick gear box swap, the 2.7 986 is an 01a transmission, also found in late 90s fwd audi a4s and can be had for a few hundred $.

If you're adding a lsd to your gearbox, that's out of my league. You may try scotty at advance automation though, he's exceptionally knowledgeable about german transmissions.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Hi folks,

I have been waiting with my car in pieces for 5 months while on Wavetrac twiddles their thumbs and tells me "two more weeks" each time to have their TBDs back in stock. I'm told it's not a hot seller for them so they don't really care.

What are my other options here? I know Quaife makes an LSD, but really set on the TBD. Is anyone else making a decent one that fits the 987 S / 986 2.7 Gearbox?
I love my GUARD TBD, allows me to come out of a corner much faster!