Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Top not Operating

2003 Boxster...experienced a dead battery from sitting too long but I was able to recharge that.
Subsequent to that, I now find that the top will not operate...I hear no sound from the motor when activating the control switch. This seems as possibly a bit of a coincidence as it was fine before this battery issue. I have checked the fuses and they are OK.
Before I go tearing into things I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas.

JillsPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #2

fuses, microswitch, ebrake switch
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
Boxing in Australia

Hand brake on?
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #4

You can use your hand brake with the button pushed in, then pull up kinda hard a few times and see if that helps, I have to do this method every so often myself..
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #5

First easy check is the dash light on when you have the hand brake pulled up. If the light is not on probably the switch in the hand brake is stuck.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #6

you can insert it and gently push and release until you see/feel the switch give, then try the Top again.

https://minotaurfightstore.co.uk/mens-fight-gear/protection-men/mma-gloves-protection-men/ | https://minotaurfightstore.co.uk/mens-fight-gear/protection-men/head-guards-protection-men/

Last edited by TorillWenche; 09-19-2021 at 11:02 AM.
TorillWenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorillWenche View Post
you can insert it and gently push and release until you see/feel the switch give, then try the Top again.
Insert what exactly?

I am seeing the dash lights and I have tried pulling up the parking brake with/without pushing in the button.

I noticed that in addition to the top being unresponsive now the windows can only be raised halfway up.

(I checked with my wife to determine if any liquid might have been spilled on the center console. She is emphatic that this did not happen.)

Last edited by JillsPorsche; 04-17-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: content added
Old 04-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #8

if you dont see the PARK light when you pull up on the brake then the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. can't open the top if it isn't working.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 04-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillsPorsche View Post
Insert what exactly?

I am seeing the dash lights and I have tried pulling up the parking brake with/without pushing in the button.

I noticed that in addition to the top being unresponsive now the windows can only be raised halfway up.

(I checked with my wife to determine if any liquid might have been spilled on the center console. She is emphatic that this did not happen.)
Its the parking break light that should be on. I assume thats what you mean by dash lights and nit the actual dash lights. Might pull the top relay and reseat it. I ended up just buying an easy top really too expensive but fixed the problem and i was waanting one anyway.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Its the parking break light that should be on. I assume thats what you mean by dash lights and nit the actual dash lights. Might pull the top relay and reseat it. I ended up just buying an easy top really too expensive but fixed the problem and i was waanting one anyway.
The parking brake light does illuminate/extinguish as it should.
Forgivr my ignorance but where is the top relay located?

What I mentioned as an issue with the windows is not an issue after all...they work just fine so it is just the top that is not working.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

the next issue would be the microswitch in the latch housing. There are some youtube videos on this.

the top relay is above the fuse box. It's the biggest one there and hopefully that wont be it cause it isn't cheap.

how did you check the fuses? Visually or with a multimeter? Youtube videos on how to test this as well.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillsPorsche View Post
The parking brake light does illuminate/extinguish as it should.
Forgivr my ignorance but where is the top relay located?

What I mentioned as an issue with the windows is not an issue after all...they work just fine so it is just the top that is not working.
The relay is located drivers side near the fuse box, I cant remember which one but I think it might be marked otherwise google. And as mentioned could be the latch micro switch, but I wold just pull the relay and reseat it, because its easy and free take a minute or less.

On reenlist I think there is a diy on how to make an emergency jumper that might help identify the problem.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

Solved

I meant to post this quite a while ago and thank those who responded. Turns out it was simply a fuse issue.