Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Shacky

Cooling still not great

I cleaned out my radiators - they were a mess - and replaced capacitors on cooling fans - both were bad - and temp still creeping up when not moving. It's still cool here in Rochester so I'm concerned I'm going to have issues when it gets really hot.

Couple questions:

Thinking I need to refill cooling system with pressurized system to make sure there's no air.

And low speed fan kicks in as soon as I turn on A/C. But I'm not sure it's turning on when needed without A/C on. Is that possible? Wondering if there's a separate regulator.

Thanks!!!

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Has your water pump ever been changed? Or is it the original? There have been cases where the plastic impellers have broken off and become lodged in various places causing overheating issues. Plus the decrease in pumping ability.

I can't imagine ever X/O of coolant again without the Airlift. It is as easy, fast and brain dead simple as the video shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI&t=29s
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
Shacky

Replaced water pump and thermostat 3 years ago. Last year I did run low on coolant. Added about 3/4 gallon without pressure system. I’ve since purchased system - just need compressor.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #4

Garage
For what it’s worth.... I replaced the stock 180deg thermostat with a 160deg. I also replaced the 2.7L oil cooler with an S cooler. Both were simple R&R operations. The result is the car is running much cooler. On the gauge, the needle points somewhere between the 1 and 8. In traffic, middle of the 8. The fans have not kicked in. Of course, the weather is still pretty cool in Northern California, but so far, I am very happy. And interestingly, the car seems to warm up faster. The heater is effective within mins.

Also, the fans do come on with the AC. I’ve always turn on the AC when in traffic. Haven’t had to since the changes. Am sure I will when it warms up tho .
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Shacky

160 degree is what I had put in.

Still questioning - does low speed fan come on when A/C is off?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacky View Post
160 degree is what I had put in.

Still questioning - does low speed fan come on when A/C is off?
Yes, at least in my car the low speed fans come on without the A/C when the coolant temp rises to 100 C - just checked this with Durametric las week.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Am I the only one questioning where the leak is if you have to add coolant to a sealed system ?

Or am I completely missing something here ?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Yes, at least in my car the low speed fans come on without the A/C when the coolant temp rises to 100 C - just checked this with Durametric las week.
Same in mine. When you are saying the temp is still creeping up, did you actually look at the temp value how high it goes up to? Boiling temperature is completely normal. Does it go any higher than that?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Same in mine. When you are saying the temp is still creeping up, did you actually look at the temp value how high it goes up to? Boiling temperature is completely normal. Does it go any higher than that?
When the fans kick in, the temp creeps up another 0,5 C (to 100,5 C) and then comes down pretty quikly.

When I did the test, I had been driving over an hour. Turned the engine off, connected the Durametric, restarted the car and let it idle while occasionally given a bit or addittional rpm. This whiel following the actual values on the temperature with Durametric.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
When the fans kick in, the temp creeps up another 0,5 C (to 100,5 C) and then comes down pretty quikly.

When I did the test, I had been driving over an hour. Turned the engine off, connected the Durametric, restarted the car and let it idle while occasionally given a bit or addittional rpm. This whiel following the actual values on the temperature with Durametric.
Yes, that`s totally fine, I did the same and had the same reading. Sorry for the confusion, my comment was referencing to the OP`s post about the temperature "still creeping up". I`m just wondering if the OP confirmed that the high temperature that he sees is indeed out of the normal range, i.e. way over 100C.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote