Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Locating Boxster service history

Hi
I have a 2001 Boxster S that I purchased from CoPart and have been fixing up to drive over the last two years. It drives and works fine so far. The mileage is 142K.

Now how do I find out if the IMS/RMS work has been done on it without dropping the transmission ? There are no stickers on the car saying it was done.

Is there a website or something for Porsche where you could enter the VIN and get the full service history? Assuming that all the work has been done at Porsche dealerships and not at local mechanics who may not share that data with Porsche.

Thank you.

vkmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

Car service history was legally ruled the property of the owner at the time of the service, and therefore cannot be released without the prior written permission of that owner. As such, no dealer or independent is going to provide that information.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #3

Odds are that it hasn't been done. I don't think dealers share service history even if you could get one to tell you.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:36 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Some cars that had the LN Engineering IMS retrofit installed were entered into a database. You can enter the last six digits of your VIN on this web page and search:

https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

It will only be listed there if the installer used an LN retrofit and submitted the information, so it's still possible that it was done if it does not show in the search.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

Thanks. I checked and nothing shows up in the LN engineering website. But maybe it was done by Porsche themselves in the past. After all the car has been run for 142,000 miles, and supposedly the problem happens before the 90,000 mileage mark.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkmotorsports View Post
After all the car has been run for 142,000 miles, and supposedly the problem happens before the 90,000 mileage mark.
Like a lot of other supposed ‘truths’ about the IMS bearing this is a myth. People who have replaced 100’s of bearings will tell you they can fail at any mileage, low or high.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Like a lot of other supposed ‘truths’ about the IMS bearing this is a myth. People who have replaced 100’s of bearings will tell you they can fail at any mileage, low or high.
I think vkmotorsports has a point. I've read somewhere that certain engine blocks were more prone to failure than others. Possibly having something to do with machining. Thus presenting itself as a problem earlier in the engine's life. So, if you have a higher mile engine, it's LESS prone to IMS failure. But you're also right, they can fail at any mileage.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #8

I have an '00 BS and had the same questions. If you don't have service records of an IMS upgrade and it isn't in the LNE database, you can't tell without removing the transaxle. One exception would be the LNE "Solution," which adds an external oil line from the base of the spin-on filter to the bell housing. That's something you can easily see from underneath the car.

I tried to get prior service records from my local Porsche dealer, for my BS that came from another state. Basically, unless you can contact the shop where service was performed, you're probably out of luck. There isn't a national database of Porsche service, especially for older cars. Sorry!
Sandy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #9

All these replies are very helpful. I have no connections in any dealerships and I don’t want to go to one either. This is a project car for me and my goal is to do all the work myself.
So I’ll eventually get to checking it by following the 101 Projects book.