Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

2000 Boxster 986 not starting intermittently

Two days ago, my Boxster had been driving fine, perfectly normal operation, and then when I got in it wouldn't start.

All the dash lights would come on, and the starter motor was going, but the engine just would not fire up. I went back inside for about 20 minutes, called roadside assistance, came back out and what do you know, it started right up. This happened again yesterday, I went out, car drove perfectly normally, then when I went to get back in it wouldn't start. Waited about five minutes and it started again.

One thing that I've done in both these scenarios is put the roof down before starting the engine. I'm sure I've done this before with no adverse effect, but is there any possibility that doing this is sapping the battery or something?

It would be nice to get some opinions on what the problem could be from the 986 experts out there, as this could be an annoying one to diagnose with a mechanic if the fault doesn't present itself... At least maybe some quick fixes to get the car started if this problem keeps happening. Certainly need to get this sorted though as I can't have it making me late for work.

Cheers.

ColtranePorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #2

If the problem crops up when trying to restart a warm engine, it is a classic crank position sensor failure.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If the problem crops up when trying to restart a warm engine, it is a classic crank position sensor failure.
Thanks, the problem has occurred multiple times since the first instance, and every time it has been when the engine is warm. When the engine is at running temperature it seems to restart fine, and it hasn't had trouble starting from cold either.

By the way, do you know how long it should take the engine to cool down from running temp? It seems to take a good two hours or even more to reach cold, in around about 64F.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtranePorsche View Post
Thanks, the problem has occurred multiple times since the first instance, and every time it has been when the engine is warm. When the engine is at running temperature it seems to restart fine, and it hasn't had trouble starting from cold either.

By the way, do you know how long it should take the engine to cool down from running temp? It seems to take a good two hours or even more to reach cold, in around about 64F.
Depends upon too may variables, but at least 2-3 hours.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Depends upon too may variables, but at least 2-3 hours.
Thanks for the advice, that seems pretty consistent with what I've seen.