Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #1

Door Hinge Maintenance

Here's a little maintenance item that most people just don't think about in older boxsters...

The hinge bolt often gets loose with lots of use and requires tightening. A quick way to determine if yours is loose is to simply open your door, reach down low on the open end and lift it.

If there's play in the hinge (meaning you can raise the open end of the door vertically and feel it) then you need to get an open-ended wrench and tighten up the nut found at the bottom of the hinge.

While you're at it, spray a little grease in it to make it work smoothly, but watch out, your door will just fly open afterwards and you'll be whacking other car doors or your garage if you're not careful. I bumped the garage wall the first time I opened the door after doing it.

This is an important thing to check once a year or so. The hinge nut should remain nice and tight so the hinge carries the load and not the bolt. It also keeps the door aligned properly so it doesn't sag, which causes secondary issues on the bodywork and the latch on the other end of the door.

The last and most important reason to keep the hinge bolt tight is one of safety. I'm not sure what might happen with a side impact with a missing bolt, maybe nothing, but franly, I don't want to find out!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote