Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2021, 09:33 PM   #1

Garage
2000 S Trans removed for IMS bearing replacement, but what now?

Hello all, I decided to replace my IMS bearing myself on my 2000 Boxster S Tiptronic with about 75,000 miles. This is just preventative maintenance, my last oil filter exam did not show anything. A $800 or $2000 "high end" retrofit kit is not really in the cards and was pretty well decided on the standard $189 kit from Pelican. However I decided to wait and place the order after I lowered the trans incase I broke anything, or found anything else I needed to change on the way.

I have 2 questions:
Looking at my flange (see pictures) I believe it indicates that I must have a dual row, is that correct?
And if so, are there any other dual row options out there that would be better than the Pelican $189 system at a similar price point? Changing out a dual row for a single row with a spacer just doesn't feel right, or am being stupid?

Bonus questions:
What else do you all recommend me changing while im in there? My RMS appears fine, but I think I will change that. I am also planning on doing the air oil separator as my intake plumbing is very oily. Are their any bolts such as pressure plate bolts that I am not supposed to reuse?

Apologies for posting on this topic, but after spending too many hours looking for answers I just could not find what I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #2

Looks like a dual row bearing, and I wouldn't use Pelican's kit on any vehicle.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #3

Remove the flange

Then inspect the bearing, in my case I had already bought the $850 kit and replaced the bearing anyway in my 2000S, the bearing was beautiful, if I had not already bought the kit, I would of left the original dual row in there.

I believe the risk in the is low for that bearing.
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
I'll probably get flamed, but IMHO the risk is fairly low no matter which bearing is there. The issue is a failure is catastrophic
I wouldn't replace a double row unless you saw some symptoms of failure
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the input guys, all appreciated. I have removed the cover and have confirmed it is dual row. I do know what a noisy bearing sounds and feels like and this one feels and sounds just fine. However when its not under load issues can be hidden. I think I will take your advice and suck the oil out of the shaft and reassemble. The last thing I was thinking about was just installing a new dual row "off the shelf" 5204 bearing, but hesitant to do that as I have not heard of anyone else really doing that.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #6

Garage
I`d remove the outer seal and leave it as is. For an off the shelf 5204 you would have to make a spacer as it`s not as wide as the original dual-row.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I`d remove the outer seal and leave it as is. For an off the shelf 5204 you would have to make a spacer as it`s not as wide as the original dual-row.
+1
This is what I am doing with my spare engine...
So... I have this spare engine.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #8

Garage
OK I think you have me convinced. If the standard thing to do is remove outer seal then I'll so that. I also tapped the center shaft thing in and sucked out all the oil in the shaft. Only had about 1 once in there, but it was very dark and had an odor to it. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #9

Garage
Well I was 100% decided to leave it installed and remove the seal as you all have said...... Then saw the 15% off sale and decided do put in LN's ceramic kit. Not really because I was concerned about mine failing.... more just because it means my hours of work actually went towards something. Thanks again for the input!

Tags
dual , ims , imsb , row , single