Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

1999 Porsche 986 Issues - ABS, Traction Control, Battery, Top, Power Steering

Hi, my name is Eric and I drive a 1999 Porsche Boxster with about 85,000 miles on it. I've had some issues come up over the past week and was wondering if anyone would know what was going on.

About a week ago I took my car out and dropped the top on one of the first warm-ish days after winter. Once I got back to my parking garage, the top would not go up, but was making a noise when I pressed the button, for about 1/2 of a second. I looked at the fuses related to the top and both seemed fine. I also checked the convertible top double relay and cleaned the receptors. My friend and I did this again yesterday, with no progress.

Today, I went to go drive my car and found the ABS, Traction Control, and battery lights all on; and also could tell the power steering was off. I'm hoping this is all related and not too huge of a fix, something I can ideally do myself. I also went over some sort of road debris yesterday that I heard scrape under my car for a few seconds, could this have caused any of these problems?

Has anyone else had these issues? Or have any clue what might have gone wrong to cause these problems?

I really appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thank you!

erix99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A low battery can cause the ABS and traction control to fault. The power steering does not have any electrical connection. Fluid runs from the pump (top left side of the engine) to the steering rack in tubing under the left side of the car. Check the plumbing underneath your car to see if any of it was damaged by the debris. Depending on how you insure your car, it may be worth a claim if the undercarriage was damaged.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by erix99Boxster View Post
Hi, my name is Eric and I drive a 1999 Porsche Boxster with about 85,000 miles on it. I've had some issues come up over the past week and was wondering if anyone would know what was going on.

About a week ago I took my car out and dropped the top on one of the first warm-ish days after winter. Once I got back to my parking garage, the top would not go up, but was making a noise when I pressed the button, for about 1/2 of a second. I looked at the fuses related to the top and both seemed fine. I also checked the convertible top double relay and cleaned the receptors. My friend and I did this again yesterday, with no progress.

Today, I went to go drive my car and found the ABS, Traction Control, and battery lights all on; and also could tell the power steering was off. I'm hoping this is all related and not too huge of a fix, something I can ideally do myself. I also went over some sort of road debris yesterday that I heard scrape under my car for a few seconds, could this have caused any of these problems?

Has anyone else had these issues? Or have any clue what might have gone wrong to cause these problems?

I really appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thank you!
“Power steering off” does that mean no power assist? If so check and make sure that debris wasn’t your broken belt. Would expect to see overheating along with this though.

Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs , battery , convertible top , power steering , traction control