Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Thinking of getting a newer 986

Hey guys,
So my much loved 98 base is nearing 150,000 miles. This spring I will need at a minimum new tires and some suspension work. I think the trailing arms bushings are shot and I'm getting a clunk in the front suspension. Maybe drop links? Not sure yet. The car also leaks and burns oil.

The good parts of the car are the Fred/Particlewave headlights, ben short shifter, newer top with glass window, exhaust mod, Carrera lite 18" wheels, full leather interior and Aero kit 1 with wing side skirts and cool bumper cover.

As much as I love this car and the mods I have done to it over the past 10 years it may be time. The engine burning oil is the most concerning. It is just not worth it to me to get the engine rebuilt. That plus a basically 23 year old suspension that might need a total refresh. Those things will cost more than the car is worth to me.

I know I can swap the headlights and some of the other stuff easy enough to a newer car if I was to find one. The thing that will hurt the most is losing the Aero Kit. That is what I fell takes this car to another lever since it is so rare.

So now that I got that long winded part out of the way, I might have found a replacement. My friend from work has let me know his father in law has passed away. He has a 2002 S with less than 60K miles. He doesn't know much about the car, but he knows I have an older 986 and asked if I was interested in looking at it. From the VIN look up I found it has these options.

413 18" Lt Alloy Wheel- Turbo Look
424 CD Shelf Center Console
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
476 Porsche Stability Management
AH Black Full Leather
G1 Guards Red
M6A Black Mats - Porsche lettering
P14 Heated Front Seats Package
P63 Sport Package
P74 Xenon Headlamp Package
P77 Leather Sport Seats
V9 Black Top
X69 Carbon Door Sil Model Insignia
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMJ Rear Center Console - Carbon
XSA Sport Seats Painted To Match
Y05 Brake/Shifter Carbon/Aluminum

This is basically all the options I would look for with the exception of the Aero Kit.

I guess my question is what do you guys think would be a good offer to start with. No I don't know if the IMS has been changed and no I haven't had a PPI done. I haven't even seen it yet, but I don't want to lose the opportunity being that I am basically first in line. He is in no hurry to sell it, but since he knows me he wants to give me first shot before he lists it for sale in the spring.

Assuming it is in average shape for a 2002 with 60K miles owned by an older guy for the last 10 years what do you think is a fair starting price. I'm not even talking money with him yet, I just want this number for my own head lol.

Thanks,
Tommy

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
IMHO +/-$12,000.00. You really need to drive it to better gauge a price. How does winter in the NE effect ragtop pricing? Easier to sell for more in the spring?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes prices go up here in the spring. That is one of the reasons of possibly getting a deal done before the weather breaks here. Prices for Boxsters are generally higher up here than other places around the country. I'm not sure why that is, maybe because of less inventory of them around here. This isn't a very well to do area, so there are not many Porsche's driving around this area. When I vacation down in south Florida Porsche's are more common than Subaru's are up here.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #4

So you're going from a 23 year old car to a 19 year old car albeit with much lower mileage. Hmm just my opinion but that could be out if the frying pan and in to the fire!
I think I'd be tempted to spend a chunk of cash on the one I already owned.
Its resale value is barely relevant but you could potentially end up with a really nice early 986.
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 AM   #5

It has some outstanding and rare options. It's also is a 02 S so it has some updates so I would get it. Try to get a little better price if you can.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #6

I'd recommend you look at BAT for pricing research. Most of the cars there seem to be in very good cosmetic condition and seem to be mostly well maintained. When you see the car you're considering, you will have a starting point by comparing that one to the BAT cars and extrapolate your offering price based on that.

I follow Boxster prices on BAT often and guess that a '02S / 60k miles / IMS not done / in a popular color would sell there for a range of 12k - 16k.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
I'd recommend you look at BAT for pricing research. Most of the cars there seem to be in very good cosmetic condition and seem to be mostly well maintained. When you see the car you're considering, you will have a starting point by comparing that one to the BAT cars and extrapolate your offering price based on that.

I follow Boxster prices on BAT often and guess that a '02S / 60k miles / IMS not done / in a popular color would sell there for a range of 12k - 16k.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
Larry (the Bald Eagle)
I like your optimism on the price, but BAT is not a place I would be going to see prices of cars. Thats where suckers go to purchase cars. The run of the mill car there is overpriced. Once in a while they have something one off, but most of their stuff can be found locally without the flat fee to bid and the buyers premium. Not to mention shipping if the vehicle is not local. To get an idea of pricing I would be keeping an eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogt6 View Post
So you're going from a 23 year old car to a 19 year old car albeit with much lower mileage. Hmm just my opinion but that could be out if the frying pan and in to the fire!
Its resale value is barely relevant but you could potentially end up with a really nice early 986.
I hear what you are saying but, I purchased my current 986 with 60K miles ten years ago. So I have some experience on how the added miles contribute to the wear on certain items. Of course years also contribute as well. I was actually thinking of getting a 987, but if I can get a great deal on this it complicates my decision.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
I like your optimism on the price, but BAT is not a place I would be going to see prices of cars. Thats where suckers go to purchase cars. The run of the mill car there is overpriced. Once in a while they have something one off, but most of their stuff can be found locally without the flat fee to bid and the buyers premium. Not to mention shipping if the vehicle is not local. To get an idea of pricing I would be keeping an eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace.
I agree. Bat prices seem very high. CL and local sales sites would be a better gauge of prices. Unfortunately active ads are few and far between this time of year in the north east.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Maybe your friend could start the ball rolling by saying what he thinks it's worth? Sounds like a nicely optioned `02. That single row ims on a low mileage car isn't a plus but you can pop in a new one for a grand if you do it yourself. The `02 may still have a plastic window but it gets a glove-box! :dance:
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Are you sure it has been maintained and driven the last few years? Sometimes old guys don't. I say this as one who saw that coming and sold mine. 70k for $12.5k 10 years ago.

Simple things like oil and brake fluid changes, tire changes because of age of the tires? When was the last major service? Brakes and clutch condition/age? Regular driving? Condition of the top ('02 still has the plastic window)?

I can ask this from the perspective of having bought a '01S and in the first two months I spent about $4k getting it into shape. Major 90k service, alignment, brakes, tires. Wonderful car afterwards. Aad it was a much younger car.

Low miles is fine in an ad but that is different from a well maintained car. Low miles not driven not maintained can be a big expenses.

$8-16k depending on those answers. Actually appreciating over the last 10 years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #12
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes Mike I don't know any of those things right now. I'm hoping he has changed the top and had the IMS done. Newer tires and fluids up to date would be good as well. I plan on swapping the wheels with the ones I have on my car, as I like them better. My wheels need new tires, so only buying one set would be good.

From what I understand his father in law was car enthusiast so that is good. He was also pretty well off, so hopefully he kept up on maintenance. I guess I will find all of this out when i see the car and get a PPI done. The car is in the area north of NYC, so it's not like I can swing by and look at it easily. It's about a 3 hour trip for me. I do expect to have to do some maintenance, how much will determine my interest in the end.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

As with the other comments it's just my opinion. First, only you can determine what it's worth to you based on driving experience and how you feel about the car. But, these cars are getting old so lot's of things to repair/replace much less upgrade. Your going for a 2002 which is still a 5 chain engine with not much in the way or updates over your existing model. I think Mike Focke is closer with the $8 to $12 being what i would probably target. If you're stuck on the 986 model and unless it's a great price towards the lower end why not go another 2 years out for a 2004?
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #14

If your thinking of buying a newer 986 I'd go with an 03-04. There were a lot of nice upgrades. I went from a 99 to an 03 and like the 03 much better. Also that 02 has that horrible plastic rear window.
2003 Boxster 986 2.7 Sold
1999 Boxster 986 2.5 Sold
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogt6 View Post
Yeah just install a better engine.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Yeah just install a better engine.
If I could afford yours I would have done it already
Old 02-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #17
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Get a 2003/2004.