Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #1

Best Aftermarket seat for daily driving ?

Hi

My beater 2001 Boxster S with 143,000 miles has a badly torn driver's seat. It came with really ugly seat covers and I do not want to get it re-upholstered. Besides going to a junkyard and finding a replacement seat in great condition for under $400, I was wondering if I could buy new aftermarket/sport seats and replace the driver's seat with it for longevity.

What is the best seat ?

I have read all the racing seat posts from the last 5+ years and I see patterns of use and recommendations, but they are all related to track racing. I just want to daily drive my Boxster back and forth from work and grocery shopping. Not tracking it or autocrossing it. Trying to avoid buying a 5-pt harness etc.

The 996 GT3 seats are super expensive for my beater Boxster.

eBay and FB marketplace seats are $400-900 for used seats but an aftermarket Sparco or something is around $400-500 so I was wondering what the real Boxster enthusiasts have been doing.

If the best solution is to get a used driver's seat, that's a bit disappointing

Please advise.
Thank you.

vkmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #2

If you're sticking with everything else stock (seat belts and air bags) these seats may be something to consider. I think they're really sharp looking, come in all sorts of colors, and are not expensive. If they don't work out then you can always return em (gotta love amazon). Safety is obviously a concern and I can't comment on that, but they have 71% 5 star reviews and most of the reviews mention they're comfortable.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #3

Best Aftermarket seat for daily driving ?

For street use I’d definitely favor seats with adjustability (rather than fixed back buckets). Yeah it’s a 2 seater so there’s no backseat access to worry about, but there is comfort to keep in mind. Most anything aftermarket that’s cheap (i.e not a top brand like Recaro/Sparco/etc.) will be suspect from a safety perspective.

If I were you, I’d be looking for OEM seats from a scrapper. You could consider certain 987/997 seats too if you don’t care about period appropriateness (compatibility depends on the electronic controls so manual adjustment seats are almost always easier to install when mismatching parts). Still standard seats from a 986/996 should be about as cheap as second hand OEM seats get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote