Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #1

What is This?

Wife found this in the driveway after I left for work this morning. She said it was near the drivers side rear tire. Without painstakingly going through the parts catalog does anyone know what this is and where it goes? Looks like some sort of hose retaining ring to me. Thanks!

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #2

can't say it looks familiar to me and I've been all throughout the 986. Not that I couldn't have missed it, but I will say it doesn't look like a porsche part to me.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

Yep, thought the same myself as I've been through this car pretty thoroughly and never seen one like it. However, never seen one on any of my other vehicles either so thought I'd send it out to you guys. Thanks for the response Quad.

Anyone else...
Old 02-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Looks very similar to the clip that holds the shift linkage cable housing........

Maybe yours is after it was run over?

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

I think Eric gets the gold star! Couldn't find that one leg in my tire so it must be still on the driveway somewhere. Oh well, will be looking for this piece on the web tonight. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I think shifter cable clip, but not from near the gear shift. I think it's from the cable back on the transmission. If the cable pops completely loose, you will not be able to shift. I'll update if I get a reference pic.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a view of the cables looking forward from the rear with the engine and transmission removed (2000 S). That bracket mounts on the side of the transmission. Cardboard is placed to better see where the clips are.

(Click for larger image.)

I used a zip tie for about six months before replacing a lost clip and it worked fine.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I used a zip tie for about six months before replacing a lost clip and it worked fine.
Me too..

On my 987CS, after reading that some people were getting stranded because clip failures, I just added a heavy duty zip ties for insurance, every time I had to remove something around there, just cut the zip ties and replace them with new ones afterwards..
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #9

Guys, thanks for the answers. I’ve ordered two new clips and will take your advice on the zip ties. Jon, thanks for going to the trouble of taking the photo. I’m sure I speak for a lot of forum members when I say thanks for your extra efforts. They are truly appreciated.