Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

URGENT HELP NEEDED! locked out of the car

I'm having a crummy weekend, what can I say..

I tried to help a friend change his driver's side door lock cylinder because the key would just rotate freely and it wouldnt lock. This was on a 2002 Porsche 911, but it's the same as on a Boxster. all went well until i forgot to clip on a locking tab on the little screw that comes from the door handle to the locking mechanism (it's the same system like on the shifter cables, you drop the screw with the threads in place, then push this locking tab over it so it doesnt come out). it worked when tested but then prob came off after so needless to say, later we closed the door and it would not open from the outside or inside handle. Got in through the passenger side, drove it home and parked it, closing with they key. Not great ending but I figured, I would get the door card off the next day and fix my mistake.

Next day I opened with the key, pulled the handle on the broken driver's door (out of habbit) and the alarm went off. Since then the passenger door stopped working completely (that always worked until that night).

I need to mention that his key fob hasnt worked in 2 years, so when the alarm went off, there wasnt much I could do.

Now I cant get into the car at all, sounds like it still unlocks with the key but no door opens at all. I dont know if this is just the alarm locking EVERYTHING and waiting for a key fob to open, which is not possible since it's not working.

I'm trying to figure out what's my next move..
1. is there any way i can still get in the car doing something by myself?
2. should i call a locksmith, have him open the door on the passenger side (that used to work just fine) since i dont think he can open the drivers side that i did not install correctly.
3. tow it to the dealer and have them figure it out while my friend applies vaseline.

Really crummy situation, not to mention frustrating, so any ideas are welcome. Next time i'll stick to only messing up my cars.

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 02-07-2021 at 05:54 PM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #2

Put the key in the driver's door lock tumbler, turn it counter clockwise (I'm pretty sure, if not try clockwise), and hold it there. That should drop the window on the door of the battery isn't dead.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Put the key in the driver's door lock tumbler, turn it counter clockwise (I'm pretty sure, if not try clockwise), and hold it there. That should drop the window on the door of the battery isn't dead.

no go.. i tried the 996 key fob procedure by turning clockwise (locking) and pressing the lock/unlock button to resynch imobilizer to key but didnt work.

Turning the key definitely does something because the inside lights turn on when i unlock and turn off when i lock. also, while unlocked, when i pull the handle on the drivers side (the broken one), the window drops down a bit. the passenger side does nothing at all. The alarm only goes off when i pull on the driver's side handle, passenger side doesnt trigger it.

i think they key fob is out of synch and there's no way to fix that but taking it to a Porsche shop with the tool to do it. Problem is.. i still need to unlock or get into the car somehow.

crap! i might need to call the locksmith. If only the key fob would work, this wouldnt be a problem. a series of unfortunate events.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #4

That's odd, the window should drop if you hold the key turned all the way, at least in a 986. This is how I get in and out of the car when is trailered. I don't know about a reset procedure, but there is an article by jmh? About resynching the for and immo.

That's all I got. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pull the drivers handle enough to drop the window, then use a coat hanger to reach across the cabin and pull the passenger door handle (pulling twice is supposed to unlock it).

That, or reach in with a dowel rod and press the central lock button on the dash?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. As always the 986forum saves my a$$. I went in through the passenger side by prying the window open on the side a bit and sliding a hook to grab the handle. Took some fiddling but had my wife with me for good luck and we got it opened. Two minds are better than one that's for sure. Luckily, i had the boxster side by side and tested my hooking technique on it

Now the next step is to open the driver's side door card with the door closed, yet another PITA but i hear it's doable. If anyone had that particular pleasure and has any tips it would be appreciated. I'm fairly confident i can swing it, even if i have to put some strain on the door card.

Thanks again for your help, what a great crowd!!