Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #21

What the actual F? -- posting a dissenting opinion is 'fear mongering'? I agree he should get the U-Haul for his single-time tow, we're simply calling out that at minimum he should check the straps or invest $100 and bring his own and bring some boards.

Pretending that a trailer that has been absolutely beat to shít for years on end couldn't possibly have an issue is asinine. Every single U-Haul trailer I have rented has had an issue -- and I have had straps loosen MANY times on these, as have many others. Just be aware of it.

Last, the idea of insulting someone's intelligence or hurling insults over this is really just the icing on the cake. Grow up. If you _really_ want to pull out the dick-measuring tape, I am sure I have more towed miles on my half-a-million mile dually and years into this than you do. I'm a noob though eh? Just a year ago you were here asking about the basics of loading your car on a U-Haul trailer, and now you're a veteran? The fact that you say the safety chain that dangles off the back is 'more than sufficient' shows just how clueless you really are. It's idiots pulling shít without a care in the world that get into trouble and it's worth advising the guy of what to be cautious about if he goes that route.

Grow up. And drop this elitist crap that seems to be so common in the Porsche circles.

Last edited by beater986; 02-11-2021 at 01:32 PM.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Jeez. C'mon. You guys are making this way too hard with your tales of doom and disaster.

It's a Boxster. Plain. Simple. We're not trying to haul an 18 ton Army Stryker over Wolf Creek Pass on the back of a bicycle.

It's a newer 1/2 ton Ford. Not a 40 year old Toyoya HiLux that was rescued from the junkyard.

And we don't need to buy a new $10,000 trailer to haul home an $8,000 Boxster.

It's a commercial trailer design that's been used successfully for years and years.

We're not using Farmer Bob's half-assed rusty homebuilt trailer with bald, mismatched tires, behind Farmer Bobs half-assed rusty farm truck with one headlight, driven by half-assed Farmer Bob with three fingers on one hand and no thumb on the other and his gimme cap cocked sideways on his bald head.

The U-Haul trailer is designed for the lowest common denominator beta dude to be able to tow his car cross country behind his wifes Honda. So - all you guys having heart palpations suggesting the wheels are going to fall off the trailer, the straps are going to turn to dust and the brakes are going to catistrophically fail - I'm guessing you're all a notch or two above the lowest common denominator? You're not betas? Right? Hopefully? And your names not Bob?

The OP asked a couple of intelligent, new guy questions. They were answered with intelligent, experienced answers from several different forum members.

Quit with the sky is falling and we're all gonna die crap. Please? It's simple. Sometimes you guys wear me out trying to overcomplicate crap with your tales of complexity and one in a million examples of numb nuttery.

Farmlifer - dry run it with your car at home. Load up your dog. Have fun. Seriously - it's not tough.

Here's five examples below. No Porsches or Volvos were harmed in the making of this public service announcement.

I wish I was along for the ride. I could use a good road trip. I think I'm turning into an old curmudgeon and beginning to sound like Starter and Piper.
Haha! Nice literary work, and thanks for the honorable (that's how I'll take it) mention!
Old 02-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You mean not being a chicken ******************** fear mongerer?
Yep. I’ll keep doing that, noob.
When messing around with a car in a garage, none of us care what degree of safety you are working with. It's your car, your garage, you're in charge.

When you hitch 2 tons of metal and run it 70 mph down a public road with other people around, FAMILIES, in your wake, you either need to care about safety of get off the road. It's one thing to kill your motor, it's something else entirely to endanger other people.

The only person here that looks like an ass is you PWave. I've gotta say, as I've made my way through a lot of posts on this forum you have always seemed to have good insight into things in the past. Clearly I misjudged you.

Beater and I are not fear mongering, we are issuing words of advice. This has nothing to do with a stupid car. "It's only just a ..." are words of a fool. Be safe when towing, know your equipment, and always take precautions.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk