Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

Do I need a new top? Tension Rope Ribbing Torn

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 987.1 that was not well cared for by its previous owner and that I'm now rehabbing. As you can see, the tension cord has ripped through the ribbing attached to the top canvas. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attached Images

losblancos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Yeah, that looks pretty done for.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #3

I had to sew by hand the velcro straps on the side of the top that are sewed into those seams. Those straps wrap around the side bars of the top frame. If the rest of the top was in decent shape, I would try to find some flexible plastic or other strong material that could be wrapped around the steel cable and sew it by hand back on the same seam, starting at an area before the split and going beyond the other end of the split area. For the thread I would use something strong, like multi-strand 40 lb fishing line in a black or gray color. I don't know that it would work for sure, but if it were mine, I would give it a try if that was the only problem with the top, before I would spring for a new top.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I had to sew by hand the velcro straps on the side of the top that are sewed into those seams. Those straps wrap around the side bars of the top frame. If the rest of the top was in decent shape, I would try to find some flexible plastic or other strong material that could be wrapped around the steel cable and sew it by hand back on the same seam, starting at an area before the split and going beyond the other end of the split area. For the thread I would use something strong, like multi-strand 40 lb fishing line in a black or gray color. I don't know that it would work for sure, but if it were mine, I would give it a try if that was the only problem with the top, before I would spring for a new top.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Anyone have suggestions for some strong/flexible plastic or rubber that might be a candidate?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

Glad to try and help. It's going to have to be strong, yet thin and flexible. I don't know if a piece of bicycle tire inner tube or auto tire inner tube would do the job. Maybe a piece of PVC sheet used underneath tiles for a bathroom shower pan. Tyvek is very strong and flexible, maybe a piece from a FedEx envelope could be used and then use a marker or paint to match.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

Check this fix out....if you haven't already.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN8ffDBZqc

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote