Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Damp question

Hey guys I posted my
First post the other day saying that whilst I’m furloughed I’m going to be checking all the little demons on this Boxster I purchased a few months back
Until a few days ago the blower motor had been broken for about 2 months
I noticed when I bought the car that behind the seats was black as if it was mouldy, but it didn’t feel wet back then, although I did buy it in the summer, I chalked it down to never being cleaned behind there

I check carpets today and basically 99% of the cars carpet feel wet but particularly behind the seats, I’m confused because the ECU under the seat is covered in dust including the visible metal it sits on, so there’s almost definitely no damage there, bone dry

In this weather the windows are almost always misted up, do you guys get any damp issues? It lives out and I’m kinda thinking that because the blower was shot for months and I neglected that fix, it doesn’t help, the car had no heat ever drying it out, and also I live in the UK so it’s pissing down constantly here

Any experience guys? Cheers

Corey Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #2

Garage
Hi. I'm not sure if you checked the drains in the rear of the car (sides of the engine top cover)? I'm fairly certain I've read that the carpet behind the seats is the first place to look for moisture if you suspect they are clogged, or if the drain tube that connects the drain to the drain port on the bottom of the car has been dislodged.

This image might help: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram

If you've already checked all of this, I apologize.
porschefan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:56 AM   #3

1st, it's not normal for a Boxster to be sitting outside and be fogged up. Your carpets will be like sponges and retain any water. You can do all the cleaning you want, but if you don't address why the water's getting in, you'll be repeating the cleaning process over and over again.

The three reasons you could be getting water inside:
1. Your drain holes are plugged.
2. A window is down. Micro switches can go bad and let the window down 1/4".
3. There's a problem with your top - hole in it, the plastic window is cracked, it doesn't seal properly along the windows or windshield header.

There are plenty of threads on these 3 items.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote