Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #1

Engine Oil Level

I have a 1997 2.5L Boxster and I have run through several forums, browsed my owners manual, technical manuals and read many different capacities for the engine oil with filter change. My owners manual states Approximately 8.7 quarts. At exactly 8 quarts I am showing at the low side of the dipstick and the display shows low. At 9 quarts I am showing at the top side of the dipstick and the display still shows low. Is there a consensus on how much to add to the 2.5L version? I have read as low as 8 and high as 10.

I do not know whether to trust the dipstick due to its poor design or should I trust the display level. Just want some input from you guys who have been around awhile ...

freserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #2

Trust the electronic display. We always adjusted customer's oil level to about two bars below the full line on the electronic display.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply ... I was going to add about 1/4 at a time until I noticed any change in the oil sensor display. I can always drain and refill if needed. I know that I have never had any problems with Mercedes oil level sensors, but since I am still learning Porsche, I'd rather ask the simple questions first.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #4

Thumbs up Update

Well, lesson learned ... after 9 quarts my display sensor was flashing low. After adding more, up to 10 quarts total ... probably more than that since most 5 quart containers have a little more than 5 quarts, I am at the mid-level point on the display sensor. I will leave it there for now until I am able to get it out on the road and check for oil usage.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #5

Old 01-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #6

Looks fine.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #7

Question Reading Oil Dipstick question

I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (due to various electronic gremlins). I have had the car for only a short time and I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)? Any guidance or detailed instructions would greatly be appreciated.

bbmidmi is offline   Reply With Quote