Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2023, 11:53 AM   #1

98 top issue. Bent parts?

Hey guys, the other day I put the top down to go for a drive, after I tried closing it only one side was going up so I brought it back home to check it out. Seems like the right side that popped off the plastic ball socket has cracked. When looking further I noticed the v arm/boomerang or whatever it’s called was bent on the side that goes to the clamshell. I decided to order a used one that wasn’t bent online but once I tried to install it I noticed the shock that goes to the clamshell wouldn’t line up with it on that side. Im going to assume the v piece shouldn’t be bent correct? If so why won’t it now line up with everything else? Both transmissions are lined up together at the marks.

Also while checking the transmissions the right side that is having an issue almost doesn’t seem as flush as the left side but everything is tight. Could the metal frame the transmission is bolted to have bent?

Devzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #2

Idk if this will help you out, but I ended up converting my top to be manual after I found that the three studs coming out from the body (that the transmission is bolted to) were bent out of alignment. I was going crazy replacing each component; the transmissions, arms, Vs, cables, etc., but it was the actual mounting studs throwing everything off. I have zero issues with it being manual- stress free living.

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/80023-99-boxster-roof-off-tracks-need-help.html
986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:27 PM   #3

Garage
One possibility is that the transmission on the affected side jumped over one or two teeth, hence the misalignment and the subsequent tension. The plastic gears are all cracked in these cars and it`s just a matter of time when they break. I just rebuilt both transmissions recently, they are fine ever since, fingers crossed. On top is the original, bottom is the replacement.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote