Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #1

Clanking noise with clutch out (newer Spec 3+ clutch)

Hi folks,

Ever since the installation of the new Spec Stage 3+ clutch, this car has been very "clanky"/"knocky" with the clutch pedal out. It happens generally when the engine is warmed up, but can sometimes occur on cold start. It sounds like a throwout bearing (which was changed with the clutch).

I have attributed this to spec clutches being super noisy; however, is this possibly a symptom of IMS? I imagine that the IMS knocking would be consistent, but figure I'd ask.

Thanks,
b9

beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:18 AM   #2

Garage
What flywheel did you use?

I have had single mass flywheels in other cars and they "chatter" quite a bit compared to a stock dual mass. Noise goes away when you push the clutch in, starts once let out. Only noticeable at idle really.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post
What flywheel did you use?

I have had single mass flywheels in other cars and they "chatter" quite a bit compared to a stock dual mass. Noise goes away when you push the clutch in, starts once let out. Only noticeable at idle really.
Lightweight aluminum. Looks like perhaps this is normal chatter then
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Lightweight aluminum. Looks like perhaps this is normal chatter then
Yes, to be clear though, it's not the flywheel chattering (though I don't think GLImages really meant that it was). One of the main purposes of the dual-mass flywheel is to absorb and soften some of the "lash" in a freewheeling gear cluster in the transaxle. You take that away when moving to a single-mass. It's obviously more noticeable when the gear oil is warm, too.

In my opinion, it's a small price to pay for all the good stuff that comes with the LWFW. In fact after a while, I quit noticing it (though my wife always did, anywhere we'd go in it. Like my old-skool Ducatis with dry clutches; "it sounds like a sewing-machine". hahahaha)
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:49 AM   #5

Garage
Yeah, I probably could have been more clear the noise is not the flywheel itself, but a by product of it. Thanks for explaining it Maytag. My brain was still warming up this morning and I got lazy with my response. Haha.