Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

Part Help - Weather strip at back of the top

I'm hoping there is a top replacement guru in here that can help me with a part number for one of the weather strips on the rear bow of the top. I'm replacing the top and mine is not reusable but the part number on it comes up blank. Even the dealer isn't sure what it is. Its the strip that is below the big main seal but above the locking strip. The one in the second channel that the fabric from the top gets taped down to. Attached is a pic of what it looks like when its pulled out of the channel.

2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

I just replaced my top and know exactly which strip you are talking about. I looked in the OEM parts catalog and I’m afraid it didn’t make things much clearer. Basically you have three options; pages 442, 446 and 447 all show “gaskets”. If I had to venture a guess it would be the part on page 442 titled gasket, roof strut. The part number was listed as 986-561-393-01. BEFORE you order one I would definitely talk to a distributor for advice or one of the forum members who is parting a car. Good luck!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #3

I'm thinking it is 986-514-731-00 but is hard to tell because the parts diagrams are horrible. I ended up just gluing what I had back together with some weather strip adhesive. Since the fabric wraps around this piece then is taped to the lower channel with the big gasket holding it in, I figured it will be okay. Good suggestion looking for one being parted out and snag that part just in case I end up needing it.

2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote