Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #1

Fixing Interior Trim with Factory Carbon Fiber Package

Hey all,

My Boxster has the factory carbon fiber package, and I have an issue with the drivers side door pull cover. It appears that the carbon is a thin sheet that is applied over a plastic bit (I'm not sure if other interior colors/trims are the same). At some point, the carbon fiber must have popped off, because some previous owner must have tried to glue it back on with some quite thick double sided material. It also appears that the whole door pull cover has been glued together because it was a bear to pull off and there is dried glue everywhere. The whole thing is a mess, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the best course of action. Pictures are attached.

Do I try to peel off the carbon fiber, purchase another base piece, and reassemble? Or do I just find a whole assembly somewhere? Not sure what to do.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #2

My 997 C2S Cab had the CF interior package and sun wreaked havoc on parts wherever they were narrow or w/ complex curves. For instance, the ashtray was replaced 2x under warranty b/c cover edges kept peeling up. Entire center console almost needed replaced but CPO warranty ran out.

The toughest were strips on dash at the a-pillar along defroster vents. Warranty covered 3x. When they peeled up last time I was quoted ~ $450 per side to replace. Um new rear tires or CF on dash - LOL. Tried to get them stay down w some HD contact cement and even Goop but to no avail (similar to I think what your PO tried).

Finally, I just peeled off the entire CF strips and sanded residual glue down to get an even surface on plastic base. Then I bought some "high-def" looking CF wrap in matte finish. Trimmed carefully, applied contact cement to both surfaces and applied. Stayed and nobody was the wiser unless I pointed it out. I had benefit that no other CF parts were within same eye line to see difference but regardless it looked good.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
My 997 C2S Cab had the CF interior package and sun wreaked havoc on parts wherever they were narrow or w/ complex curves. For instance, the ashtray was replaced 2x under warranty b/c cover edges kept peeling up. Entire center console almost needed replaced but CPO warranty ran out.

The toughest were strips on dash at the a-pillar along defroster vents. Warranty covered 3x. When they peeled up last time I was quoted ~ $450 per side to replace. Um new rear tires or CF on dash - LOL. Tried to get them stay down w some HD contact cement and even Goop but to no avail (similar to I think what your PO tried).

Finally, I just peeled off the entire CF strips and sanded residual glue down to get an even surface on plastic base. Then I bought some "high-def" looking CF wrap in matte finish. Trimmed carefully, applied contact cement to both surfaces and applied. Stayed and nobody was the wiser unless I pointed it out. I had benefit that no other CF parts were within same eye line to see difference but regardless it looked good.

Good luck
What's pretty interesting about my interior is that their is very obvious sun damage, with the clear coat yellowing almost everywhere on the CF, but, no peeling and no de-lamination I can see (yet). I would have expected the same as your interior.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #4

One thing I am looking for is the plain unpainted plastic piece that the CF sits on since mine is broken in at least two places. I see from this thread that there was a part that was unpainted black plastic, which is what I want, but I can't see to find it for my year.

The part number in the thread is this: 986-555-592-00-B12

But that appears to be for pre-2000 Boxsters. Any idea if it will fit a 2000?
Old 11-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

I have the CF package in my 2003 S as well. The only piece that needs attention is the steering wheel. The epoxy is cracked in several places. Anybody know how to, or where to send it to be restored?
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
Anybody know how to, or where to send it to be restored?
Craft Customs in Dallas

https://craftcustoms.com/

They can repair/restore everything 986 interior carbon fiber.

https://craftcustoms.com/photos-by-make-model/porsche-steering-wheel-dash-trim/

Last edited by RedTele58; 11-15-2020 at 05:14 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon fiber , door pulls , interior