Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

deleted post

deleted post -

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 12:04 PM.
kbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

As long as you don't have a MOST bus sound system, upgrades are pretty easy. And because your car is 2001 and your original head unit is a CDR220 you don't have MOST bus.

Depending on the new radio / head unit you will need some adapters. In general the amp and speakersystem can be reused. The CD-changer might be a problem to be reused. If you don't have any experience in car hifi installations, i would recommend to consult a cor hifi shop / workshop, that does the installation for you.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

The non most is pretty easy upgrade if you want to stay single din if you want to go double din you need kit to relocate ac controls. You can get adaptors make the install pretty much plug and play. CAI has some videos and info on their website.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

Your dash speakers, if original, might need replacing. My 2000S had the original paper cones and they had mostly disintegrated. Same for the 4 shelf speakers. The subwoofers in the doors are probably still good as they have composite cones and haven't seen the sun much. Should you decide to add a new amp as well, you will be happier.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

If you decide to change the dash speakers there is a forum member makes a really nice mount. I had same problem. If you dont want to go through pain of installing a aftermarket amp a 996 cabrio 6 channel amp will fit just need to cut a tab off the connector. This will add fade capability between doors and dash, works well but i swapped in a alpine amp in the end.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #6

Garage
I’m planning to install the new PCCM+ head unit and swap out my amp for the 6 channel 996 version. That way all 6 of my speakers (rear shelf, doors, dash) will be driven by the amp. Theoretically this set up will be plug and play. Maybe some minor work getting everything mounted nicely. Maybe this is a route you could consider. No doubt expensive, though.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

I was in the same situation with my 2001 S and did the following:

Upgraded to a 6 channel amp from a parted out 911 (996) found on Ebay. This means you get separate power to dash speakers, door speakers, and shelf speakers and you can fade front to rear. You would want to check and see if you have a four channel amp driving your existing six speakers, or you already have the six channel amp.
I installed four wide range pioneer speakers (Pioneer TS-A878), purchased from Amazon, in the rear shelf using the Boxster shelf speaker add-on kit that is available from eBay. Sounds like you don't need this step if you already have them installed, though if your speakers are old you might want to upgrade.

My dash speakers were in decent shape - and I hear most of the sound from the rear speakers, so I chose to not upgrade my fronts.

I installed a new double-din Chinese Android-based headunit. I went with one from Joying and have been happy with it but there are several vendors.
- Got rid of the useless cupholders, installed a double-din adapter
- comes with GPS antenna, installed under the plastic cover in front of the windshield
- comes with a backup camera, installed in the rear license plate holder
- comes with two external USB ports, installed in-between the cubby and the center console

All together this is a great upgrade for your Box. The six channel amp and speakers behind your head make a huge difference in sound volume and quality. The modern Android-based head unit has all the functionality of your mobile phone, and then some.

Last edited by ddruker; 10-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #8

Sorry for hijacking a bit
Is a built in amplifier in a modern stereo better than the!original installed Nokia amp?Usually a new head unit has a spec on 4x40w.
There will of course be a low of re-wiring if deleted im not completely convinced about the sound quality in the Nokia amp with the built in by-pass filters
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Sorry for hijacking a bit
Is a built in amplifier in a modern stereo better than the!original installed Nokia amp?Usually a new head unit has a spec on 4x40w.
There will of course be a low of re-wiring if deleted im not completely convinced about the sound quality in the Nokia amp with the built in by-pass filters
In my opinion an aftermarket will provide better sound, but it will depend on how much you want to spend. I bought a broken nokia and used the connector to fab a connection from my alpine amp to connect into the factory wiring so I could put everything back original. Ran rca cables from hu to amp. Think is rewiring these things are not quit cut and dry.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I was in the same situation with my 2001 S and did the following:

Upgraded to a 6 channel amp from a parted out 911 (996) found on Ebay. This means you get separate power to dash speakers, door speakers, and shelf speakers and you can fade front to rear. You would want to check and see if you have a four channel amp driving your existing six speakers, or you already have the six channel amp.
I installed four wide range pioneer speakers (Pioneer TS-A878), purchased from Amazon, in the rear shelf using the Boxster shelf speaker add-on kit that is available from eBay. Sounds like you don't need this step if you already have them installed, though if your speakers are old you might want to upgrade.

My dash speakers were in decent shape - and I hear most of the sound from the rear speakers, so I chose to not upgrade my fronts.

I installed a new double-din Chinese Android-based headunit. I went with one from Joying and have been happy with it but there are several vendors.
- Got rid of the useless cupholders, installed a double-din adapter
- comes with GPS antenna, installed under the plastic cover in front of the windshield
- comes with a backup camera, installed in the rear license plate holder
- comes with two external USB ports, installed in-between the cubby and the center console

All together this is a great upgrade for your Box. The six channel amp and speakers behind your head make a huge difference in sound volume and quality. The modern Android-based head unit has all the functionality of your mobile phone, and then some.
Do you only have the 2 dash speakers and the 4 speakers behind your head? I can see how that would work with a 6 channel amp. Or do you also have 2 door speakers, for 8 speakers total, hooked up to the 6 channel amp?
Old 10-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Do you only have the 2 dash speakers and the 4 speakers behind your head? I can see how that would work with a 6 channel amp. Or do you also have 2 door speakers, for 8 speakers total, hooked up to the 6 channel amp?
3 channels
Channel 1 is the 2 dash speakers
Channel 2 is the 2 door speakers
Channel 3 is the 4 speakers on the back shelf.

The stock amp on my Boxster S had 4 channels, powering the 2 dash speakers and the 2 door speakers.

Upgrading to the six channel amp required running a 4 conductor wire from the new headunit to the rear channel of the new amp (4 wires because Left and Right signals), and running 4 conductor speaker wire from the new amp to the two sets of two speakers in the rear - 2 speakers each for left and right.

Last edited by ddruker; 10-30-2020 at 06:58 PM.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote