Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

Whats the best way to replace...

My 02' 5 spd axle's,... My boots have splits and I just want to replace with rebuilt units ,Iam willing to rebuild the units if needed,..is the salvage yards the best option ?? or does someone rebuild them..? Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #2

Inner or outer boots split?

You can replace the outer boots but the bearings inside are kind of a sealed thing. The inner bearings can be re-built, and its super easy to rebuild the inners.

Both of the boots are available online, not cheap, but available. Its about $200-$300 to get boots for all 4 joints and inner bearings. If your outer boots haven't split its the best option to do it yourself.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #3

I’ve done boots and repacked inner bearings...$50. Not a tough job but messy as heck!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

With replacement axles in the $50-$100 range it hardly pays to mess around with rebuilds and reboots. Repetitive cv boot failures are a fact of life with these cars.

Years ago I played around with a split boot with tiny screws that can be installed with the axle still in place. The closest fit i could find was not close enough and it was a big PIA getting the things to stay in place. I did have some stay on and last a long time but came out with the next bearing change. In retrospect, not worth the effort.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
With replacement axles in the $50-$100 range it hardly pays to mess around with rebuilds and reboots. Repetitive cv boot failures are a fact of life with these cars.

Years ago I played around with a split boot with tiny screws that can be installed with the axle still in place. The closest fit i could find was not close enough and it was a big PIA getting the things to stay in place. I did have some stay on and last a long time but came out with the next bearing change. In retrospect, not worth the effort.
Problem is that those cheap axles are just that, cheap and don't hold up very well.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #6

Well for me i'am usally always busy,.so I wanted to get some used ones.rebuild them..then switch them out, This saves me time,I could rebuild 1 wkend and install the next,..I think the 1 split one I found is of course the wheel side !! plus to do that job local shop quoted 925.00 out the door both sides..I would be willing at 600.00 out the door and I understand but its a little to much for that job ...But Iam guessing,..I always tell my wife Iam willing to work on the Boxster...so I guess I should..Lol Frank
Old 10-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Wret,..Auto zone has them rebuilt for 105.00 ea..Even tho I just need boots..If I could keep my axle's I would consider doing that then install my original ones after I rebuild them CV's are good just need the boots.!
Old 10-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #8

Aftermarket cheap axles are generally crap but I suppose there are exceptions . How do you find the exceptions ??? My opinion buy a used set of OEM axles and go through them with a good cleaning and greasing . Install new boots and you are good to go .

There is a CV axle rebuild shop about an hour from me . I happened to be in the area about two months ago so I stopped in . I spoke with the owner and he said they only will rebuild OEM axles . He doesn't touch anything aftermarket he said they are all Chinese garbage . He said it is getting harder to get good quality boots , many are going cheaper and that affects durability to flex and heat cycles .

For a Boxster wrapping the exhaust with heat wrap can help the boots live longer.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #9

To the OP, your idea of purchasing used OEM axles and rebuilding them prior to install is not a bad plan.
I though about doing the same years ago on my 2000S after doing the rebuild. The thing is, removing and replacing the axles is not a terrible job if you have axles ready to go. I spent longer rebuilding the axles than the R/R.
Once you get your old ones out, you can rebuild your at your leisure and be ready for the next round.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Well for me i'am usally always busy,.so I wanted to get some used ones.rebuild them..then switch them out, This saves me time,I could rebuild 1 wkend and install the next,..I think the 1 split one I found is of course the wheel side !! plus to do that job local shop quoted 925.00 out the door both sides..I would be willing at 600.00 out the door and I understand but its a little to much for that job ...But Iam guessing,..I always tell my wife Iam willing to work on the Boxster...so I guess I should..Lol Frank

$925 is SUPER steep. They give you a handy job/ happy ending at that price?? LOL

My only problem with a split boot is that there is a possibility that you picked up some dirt or contaminant that has et away at the bearings inside the joint.

I've heard stories on the ole interwebs that people flush out the outer joints with no problems. Seems legit with enough acetone. Just would take a lot of acetone.

I personally wouldn't cheap out on a CV axle bearing (I cheap out on a lot of other things). Get the OE bearing brand (hint it doesn't have to read Porsche on the box).

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Problem is that those cheap axles are just that, cheap and don't hold up very well.
In addition, at least for a Boxster S, my research indicated the cheap axles don’t articulate properly. I went with a new Porsche axle for my 550SE.

I’d at least rebuild an OEM axle using quality CV joints and OEM boots.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 10-20-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #12
A Porsche Guy

Word of advice. Properly torque down the axles. The nightmares my wallet faced still haunts me.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Word of advice. Properly torque down the axles. The nightmares my wallet faced still haunts me.
And use blue (medium strength) Loctite on the bolts.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #14

I dont have any problem with OEM parts I just want to switch them out,.But I also want to change suspension parts while Iam there,I kinda intend to do all bushing's that Iam capable of doing,But should I do both side's at once or 1 at a time. Thanks Much Gentlemen ,Frank
Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #15

With OEM axles at around $1K and aftermarket sub hundred, I can't imagine going with OEM. I hadn't heard the articulation issue. I'm at about 250000 miles and I've put in several axles: all with torn boots, none with actual joint issues. I've already got one standing in the corner for the next change.

That said, youtube/google must be harvesting my posts because youtube recommended a boot changing technique I hadn't seen before using a funnel type thing to stretch a new boot over the outer joint. Pretty neat but I would still choose to change the whole thing.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #16

I have some salvage yard axle's on the way,.so I will grease and re-boot them before install,.would I need all new bolts,..plus I have that clunk over bumps at a slow speed...could it be my axle's or bushing's,..Thanks Frank
Old 10-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #17

is it smart to replace 1 axle at a time,.to keep the supports in place..so I don't have to fight with lining them up again, Or does it matter,..thanks !!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I have some salvage yard axle's on the way,.so I will grease and re-boot them before install,.would I need all new bolts,..plus I have that clunk over bumps at a slow speed...could it be my axle's or bushing's,..Thanks Frank
That clunking noise is from the trailing arm links, AKA tuning forks.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #19

Ok Thanks Kinda figuired, but I was hoping maybe the axle's..How have you been these days ?