Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #1

What's your OTHER ride ?

Ok, I know it is about 5 months too early to start worrying about this, but since I am in Chicago I have been debating whether or not I want to "winterize" my Boxster or just buy a beater car for the winter. I figure that to make my car winter ready, I am looking at about $3000 for the hard top, $450 for winter tires, and $1400 for wheels. Then I still have to deal with salt and snow getting on my beloved Porsche. So, I am thinking about taking the $5k and buying a winter "beater". My question is, for those of us not lucky enough to live in California or down south, what is your "other" car ? Any suggestions for a good winter car in the $5k range ? Thanks !

NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #2

I got a Ford Explorer with high miles for my other car. I keep it on the road year round. It is great to have something else for longer business drives, going to shady neighborhoods, loading stuff and for winter of course. I bought it for 4k (but that was with a family discount). I would think you could get something that looks ok and runs well for 5k.
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #3

I typically have my GF's car to drive in the winter if it is bad out (Saab 9-3), great car. I think I will be doing the same thing as you this winter. I was looking on ebay, and personally I am going to try and find a Audi A4, or maybe a Nissan Maxima. You can get those relatively cheap with somewhat high miles.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #4

2nd car

My second car is a beat-up Kia Sephia i use it during winters here in boston, and for the usuall errands...etc...

Although it is on its last legs, and is dangferously close to being a money pit... I am def. looking for something with 4WD but just waiting for the right car to come along...especially since I have the entire summer, fall and even part of winter to look for a car...
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #5

suggestions...

NICKCATS..

how about a Subaru, i think a nice 99 - 2000 model with high miles might run around your budget....

Plus it's great for harsh winters and has a decent fuel economy.
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #6

I usually have a company car but 5K can get you into an older Audi A4 Quattro.
Great winter car.
I used to have an S4.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #7

Cool, didn't think about an A4. I was looking at an old BMW 5 or 7 series. Can pick up a pretty decent one, high miles, for under $5k. I'll add Audi to my list. Would be nice to have 4WD.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #8

You have to be kidding...winterize a Porsche?!?! it sounds so girlie.
I drive my 996 Turbo in the winter and my Boxster S in the summer. Dude don't limit your self and enjoy your car. your car will outlast you by 100 years.
Germany makes Chicago weather like Florida.

:dance:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #9

[QUOTE=porscheracer]You have to be kidding...winterize a Porsche?!?! it sounds so girlie.
I drive my 996 Turbo in the winter and my Boxster S in the summer. Dude don't limit your self and enjoy your car. your car will outlast you by 100 years.
Germany makes Chicago weather like Florida.
QUOTE]

True, I drove a 951 with Blizzaks or Dunlop Winter Sports for 9 winters!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #10

porscheracer, I agree. I would just hate to expose the car to the salt and all. Plus, I would definitely need new tires, mine would suck in the snow. So then I would need another set of wheels, much easier to switch. And would rather have the hard top in the winter, so it makes more sense to buy another car...

Last edited by NickCats; 06-15-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #11

I have an SUV for the really bad snow days. Otherwise, my Boxster is a year round driver. Yeah, you have to worry about salt, sand, and god knows what else. But, it's just a freakin car. Take care of it - sure - but also drive it.

I seriously considered buying an old Jeep CJ for my beater. Instead, I went to Ebay and found a set of Snows with Rims for $500.00 plus $200.00 in shipping. The tires were practically new and the rims were in pretty good shape. So, for $700.00 I have two sets of rims and two sets of tires. Compare that to $5000.00 for a beater which I have to maintain, insure, hope doesn't break, and find a place to park.....

Oh yeah, you should expect a post by someone from California stating that Porsches, and Boxsters in particular, shouldn't be driven in snow. Which I sort of agree with. Californians with Porsches shouldn't drive in snow....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #12

denverpete, I am from San Diego, so not quite sure what I am supposed to do now
Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #13

I have a '99 Sob 9-3 (repair bills precipitated the new name), but my main ride outside of the Box is my Vespa LX150. Perfect for local errands, fun as hell and 70mpg.

What is "winter?"
Old 06-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #14

I drive a Dodge Dakota when I'm not driving my Boxster. It's only a 2wd (not sure why I didn't buy the 4x4) so I have a set of winter tires and wheels for the truck. My Boxster will be a garage queen during the winter as the salt can eat up a car not to mention since we have to wash them by hand it is a PITA trying to get the undercarriage clean.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
denverpete, I am from San Diego, so not quite sure what I am supposed to do now
Complain about how the Porshe is too low for snow then get some snow tires for it anyway. Oh yeah, complain about F*#$! Merlot!

Old 06-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Complain about how the Porshe is too low for snow then get some snow tires for it anyway. Oh yeah, complain about F*#$! Merlot!
Ouch ! I thought only people from Arizona hated Californians ?

BTW, I drink Corona
Old 06-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Ouch ! I thought only people from Arizona hated Californians ?

BTW, I drink Corona
Nah. Ragging on Californians and Texans is big business in Colorado for natives (not that I was trying to hate on Californians - just paraphrasing "Sideways"). Although the Texan thing has tapered off a bit since the oil days of the 70's and 80's.

You know how it is - Californians sell their crappy house and find they can buy some HUGE house on the side of a mountain in Colorado. They buy an SUV (because everyone has a 4x4 in Colorado) and proceed to drive it off the road when the first snow storm comes up. They like the lifestyle (laid back) but then get pissed because we're, well, laid back. They like the high country, but don't know enough to fear and respect it. But on the plus side we have much nicer malls than we used to....

Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #18

97 Explorer <--great in the winter

04 Accord EX <--- good in the winter

99 Miata (Supercharged) <--------Sucks in the winter so it's put away along with the Box-S
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #19

I drove mine last winter without incident but I only like to keep cars for two years then Im bored. Its my opinion you dont need a hard top just because it snows. I dont have one and its not like it was cold inside the car or anything. I also believe the car does so well because its mid-engine. Just keep it clean and you shouldnt have any problems. My whole life I have kept my cars nice for the next guy, not anymore. I just keep checking my friends lot for my next ride.....www.thomasclassics.com he has some nice stuff there, been saving for a Viper for 5 years by the way and Im half way there.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #20

ohioboxster,

like the Viper and the Ferrari on the site ! Boxster is a little overpriced, though...

Nick