Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

Help! No start, roof, window problems

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is staying safe. Need some help diagnosing.

Went to change starter today as I am geting whirling sound when starting car. Attempted to put top in service position. Unlatched, windows went down as normal. Pressed button for top and it started but motor stopped. Top did not move. Re-latched and attempted multiple times with no success.

Placed the windows to normal full up position. Tried working top again. This time, the windows started to go down 1/4 inch at a time until the full 2 inches. No luck with top. Attempted to start car. No luck. Checked battery, lights, etc. looks fine but also looks like battery bad. Checked voltage at about 11.8 volts. Need new battery? I’ve had it hooked up to a trickle charger since shelter in place. Not sure why battery would affect top operation.

Any insight appreciated!

Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Update...car started. When pressing the top to go down, the button clicks but nothing happens. No motor for the top is engaging. What should I check next? Relay? Where is it located?
Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

Depending on the year..I had a micro switch issue down under the hand brake,my 02' needs the hand break pulled up before my top would work..Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Is the brake light coming on when you pull up the emergency brake handle? No. Pull it up... push it down... several times. Try to get that brake light on.

Yes... brake light on...

Poke your finger into the latch hole (top of windshield, middle). Poke it in out..

A little troubleshooting...

That's all I've got out of the gate. Lots of info about the tops on this forum...